My Ape project - Page 3
Close

My Ape project

This is a discussion on My Ape project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by jcw The routine maintenance on these things is crazy. our sales people generally wouldn't tell the customers buying sxv as road bikes ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: My Ape project

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    The routine maintenance on these things is crazy.
    our sales people generally wouldn't tell the customers buying sxv as road bikes that the schedule said piston replacement every 6000km. made for a few stressed people come 6,000km service time. no one ever agreed to do it ime.

Service schedule on competition type bikes makes the assumption you are racing and want to stay competitive :/ and I think they expect you to be riding on healthy sponsorship,
    personally I never felt compelled to replace my spark plug cap after every 6 races or change my piston rings twice a year. ymmv.
    jcw likes this.

jcw
    Got my title in the mail. That's a win...
    Still looking for the right combination tach and secondary gauges. It takes me forever to make a decision.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Do you have lights on the dash that are required, neutral, kickstand etc.?

jcw
    Required in terms of I want or the state requires?

As far as the state, I don't think there are statues pertaining to dash lights. I recall reading there must be a speedometer, though.
    As far as what I want? A tach, oil pressure gauge and temperature gauge if fine for me. As far as dummy lights, I can wire up an LED for shift light and neutral light pretty easily. I've got a bunch of single LEDs lying around.

What were you thinking?

Here when bikes change ownership there needs to be a MOT inspection done before the new owner can licence it. Basically it has to have the factory safety lights or a replacement for the inspection.
    I'd just go with the basics but I would add a small speedo. For those times I'm coming off the freeway and into a slow zone.

jcw
    oh, yes. i see. many states here require inspection, but i live in one that does not.

i am fortunate enough to have a bike i ride that is more suitable for riding with others and the general public. This one and my other barely legal track bike goes less than 5 miles from my house on public roads. otherwise, it's trackdays only. i just dont feel comfortable taking a bike I am unfamiliar with on the track and would like to break myself in with a little twisties riding.

point well taken though. If I feel like selling this hand grenade, i probably could demand a better price with a proper street dash. speedo, tach, neutral and oil light.
    Last edited by jcw; 06-06-2019 at 01:29 PM.

jcw
    headlight mount with holes for a tach/dash mount later.
    yeah, headlight bolts are mismatched. just temporary..
    Last edited by jcw; 06-18-2019 at 10:06 AM.

jcw
    Burned out the starter. It was on it's way out anyway. No biggie, a spare was in the spare parts box. But these fukkers are between $120-170 a pop.
    Bike spins up nicely now. While before, it would hesitate, spin for a second, then cluck to a stop.

Name:  SXV front quarter.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  365.7 KB

Bike is apart and I'll figure out the subframe design, seat height and angle, etc....
    Right now, the angle forces my nads into the tank too much putting weight on my wrists. Not comfortable when you are braking and setting up a corner. Either the tank needs to extend back a little or the angle needs to be flatter or both.

I was looking through some old posts and links and I wish I lived closer to Tannermatic. I sweet tank cover/seat unit would be the bomb!

Try adjusting the rear suspension ride height and setting it softer, race bikes are largely ridden on the rear wheel and stiff as :|

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links