My Ape project
Close

My Ape project

This is a discussion on My Ape project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Started out as this... Converted to this by previous owner... Arrived in my garage with loose chain, a hole in the right fairings from a ...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: My Ape project

jcw

My Ape project

Started out as this...
    Name:  new.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  174.0 KB

Converted to this by previous owner...
    Name:  arrived.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  329.0 KB

Arrived in my garage with loose chain, a hole in the right fairings from a low side, bent right radiator, rashed brake MC, no plate, no headlight, no brake light, still geared supermoto short, cracked seat, poor seat ergos (slanted way too forward), scraped up swingarm from too small rear sprocket, just overall sloppy...
    Bike on the second day I had it, cracked a woodruff key holding the timing rotor/flywheel in line and the bike stopped working. Ran down the parts needed to fix it, flywheel puller and new key and it fired right back up.
    Changed the gearbox oil, drained the engine oil and filled up the wrong hole, apparently the engine is a dry sump system and oil is filled through the oil reservoir.
    Name:  garage.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  504.1 KB

My first priority was to get the bike titled. Paperwork and $ was submitted and I'm awaiting the new title in the mail. Yea.
    Next was to make it sufficiently road legal which is no small feat.
    Name:  vrod headlight.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  355.1 KB
    the bike is so light, it will stand up with the pitbull just resting on the rear spools and not lifting the rear wheel. Weighed the bike when it arrived and I got 280#'s. Great for a road bike, not so great as a dirtbike.

Fabbed up a license plate bracket. Swapped out 16t front sprocket for a rare filed down (a full sized 17T sprocket hits the swingarm) 17t. Bought a new chain and a larger rear sprocket.
    Looking to get rid of the cheap Koso tach and malfunctioning low oil pressure light. I have my eye on a sweet Stack tach with integrated speed, and two channel pressure/temp. ST700.
    Had this Vrod headlight for years and never got around to use it. I fabbed up a bracket and drilled a couple small mounting holes in the upper triple and it looks right at home.
    I have an aprilia rs125 upper fairing that I intend to make fit for the track. But, I wanted the bike roadworthy as easy as possible so I could ride it. On went the headlight.

So much to do, so little money...
    Last edited by jcw; 06-03-2019 at 01:19 AM.

As it is an Italian bike the first job is to turn over the wine rack and get it filled.

jcw
    lol...
    my bro dropped off some of his crap when he moved and never picked it up.
    it's a storage rack now. but my garage is a disaster area.
    Last edited by jcw; 06-03-2019 at 08:05 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Hey that can't be right, it has a front fender! Didn't you get the memo, all cafe racers must be personalized by removing the front fender.

Cute toy! What’s the horse power?. You are close to TZ250 weight.

jcw
    this engine/bike was built for Chuck Sorensen a former AMA 250gp champ to compete in some motoamerica races.
    It's close to a full on race engine by Amauri Nunez, former Aprilia supermoto crew chief but had overheating issues requiring a couple rebuilds while racing. it will probably not survive long with me either. But it reportedly dyno'd around 80hp.
    im on the lookout for a spare engine

What hole did you use? Straight into the crankcase?
    "Non urinat in ventum"

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    What hole did you use? Straight into the crankcase?
    gearbox. it looks like it should be right into the crankcase, but go figure, its a dry sump engine and theres an oil reservoir that needs to be filled.
    yes, i have a service manual...
    yes, i've read it.
    yes, i am a complete ultra-moron...

You are Soooooo going to be popping little wheelies much of the time!

Should have said it was an Aprillia, then I would have understood the bits falling off,
    they tried to make a trials bike at one time, didn't work out so well but it did prove that USD forks are useless on a trials bike.
    & don't spare the lock tight
    jcw likes this.

So your announcing that here just to punish yourself? Everyone here has done stupid shit, not everyone will admit it. I drained the oil out of the leg of an OMC outdrive and wandered away. Launched it next spring and learned to always refill or hang the big red tag on the ignition.
    jcw and woodsman like this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links