1978 Triumph Bonneville project - Page 4
Close

1978 Triumph Bonneville project

This is a discussion on 1978 Triumph Bonneville project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Not much to show for 3 weekends of work. Still can't get the swinging arm to budge but got a few parts cleaned up/powder coated. ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 1978 Triumph Bonneville project

Not much to show for 3 weekends of work.
    Still can't get the swinging arm to budge but got a few parts cleaned up/powder coated.
    Virtually every nut and bolt has put up a fight so far.
    Just a quick question, I've fitted some stainless M6 fixings to the rear mudguard does this mean that I'll burn in hell?
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

There should be someone here that can direct you where to request a special dispensation.
    Last edited by upperb; 07-27-2019 at 02:27 PM. Reason: typo
    steveo likes this.

No, but edward turners ghost will haunt your dreams until you put the correct unified fastener there
    steveo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

M6 .......nooooooooo, you need to go over to the Dark Side and fit Imperial

A little bit done today. Got to 2 o'clock and couldn't be arsed to do any more...Time for some beer.
    Mark Burton likes this.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    A little bit done today. Got to 2 o'clock and couldn't be arsed to do any more...Time for some beer.
    Take a good look at the area around the swingarm and down tube. If that one was cracked badly you’d know it by now. If I understand correctly, it was the early ones that were more likely to have the problem. Anyway.... better to look now just to make sure.

https://www.triumphrat.net/classic-v...-oil-leak.html

Have you been soaking the swingarm pivot bits? I should really take my own advice and go see if I can pull my swingarm spindle without any drama.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    Take a good look at the area around the swingarm and down tube. If that one was cracked badly you’d know it by now. If I understand correctly, it was the early ones that were more likely to have the problem. Anyway.... better to look now just to make sure.

https://www.triumphrat.net/classic-v...-oil-leak.html

Have you been soaking the swingarm pivot bits? I should really take my own advice and go see if I can pull my swingarm spindle without any drama.
    Thanks for that Cyorg, the frame looks fine.
    Thought I'd sorted the swinging arm this morning. The pivot had been soaking in acetone/ATF for a week, so tried turning it with a large torque wrench and it finally started moving.
    Still can't knock the bloody thing out tho, so looks like I'll have to go with plan E and give the frame to someone that knows what they're doing.
    Spent the morning degreasing the frame inside and out, things got a bit messy. Don't know why the missus got so upset, I gave her washing up bowl a quick rince before handing it back.

If its turning the hard part is over, now just add more heat and penetrant get it up to 350 degrees celsius and it will come out with a few knocks.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.blom View Post
    If its turning the hard part is over, now just add more heat and penetrant get it up to 350 degrees celsius and it will come out with a few knocks.
    Cheers.

i don't know that i could have resisted the temptation to just beat the living shit out of it this long.
    dr.blom likes this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links