budget 2002 sv650 cafe racer - Page 2
Close

budget 2002 sv650 cafe racer

This is a discussion on budget 2002 sv650 cafe racer within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; If the subframe tubing is electrical conduit I'm with you for being happy to just watch....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: budget 2002 sv650 cafe racer

If the subframe tubing is electrical conduit I'm with you for being happy to just watch.
    gt alex and GRAVEL RASH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gt alex View Post
    .9mm gassless wire with my handyman mig. I admit I have been struggling the metal came from my old dishwasher and is about .7mm thick.
    Thanks for the advice I will get som anti splater spray
    Handy MIG from Lincoln or some obscure Asian contraption? At the risk of sounding like a dick, IMHO you would be better off getting a good MIG.
    I would think that learning to weld thin sheet of dubious quality onto thicker tubing would be much easier. There are folks on here that use flux core and they will tell me Iím full of shit. I usually use MIG for welding frames and then all they require is paint prep. No grinding unless I get out of position and shit the bed...... or in an area when grinding is required for fitting. Maybe itís just what Iím familiar with (and I didnít get there overnight), but it seems to me that trying to learn with a shit welder and shit steel canít be fun. You could just stitch weld the (clean) sheet metal or use a series of tacks. At any rate, the welds on your subframe indicate your technique/settings are in need of some tweaking. I donít have a ticket, but have been at it for a while... even so, Iíll grab some scrap the same gauge and run however many beads it takes to get my shit together before attacking a frame. Throw away your fucking grinder and practice.

Iíd post some pictures of my frame welds, but some other dick would just come along a point a fisheye.
    gt alex likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

jcw

This is how I started, learn to cut ninety degree fishmouths, tack and weld. repeat. I have buckets and buckets of these.
    This one I used a really small filler rod. Oh yeah, and a reasonably priced, but good quality chinese TIG.

Welds may not be instagram worthy, but I make sure they are quality and at least better than the 70's frame welds I see on the bike.
    Last edited by jcw; 07-12-2019 at 08:01 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Learn to cut? You aren't using a tube notcher?

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post

This is how I started, learn to cut ninety degree fishmouths, tack and weld. repeat. I have buckets and buckets of these.
    This one I used a really small filler rod. Oh yeah, and a reasonably priced, but good quality chinese TIG.

Welds may not be instagram worthy, but I make sure they are quality and at least better than the 70's frame welds I see on the bike.
    I don’t think I’ll ever get instagram worthy TIG welds unless I build some sort of power assist for the rod. My left hand is just too buggered up. Might get better with practice... I still tell myself that I should try feeding rod while I’m watching the next episode of “As the stomach turns” on the national news channel. I look at MIG the same way. I’m never “really” happy with the way they turn out, but they usually look as good or better than the factory welds. There seems to be some sort of law or rule that if the weld is hidden it will be flawless. The more visible it is, the higher the odds you’re going to shit the bed, the breaker will blow, or the feed will hiccup. That Lincoln TIG just hoses out the argon. No post flow adjustment, so the cost of practicing isn’t cheap. Might add a manual solenoid valve. My AC TIG hasn’t improved since I did this a good while back.... not sure I want to get really good cause then folks start showing up at your door. Did some for a friend the other day and thought afterwords I should have fucked it up. Something to be said for creative incompetence. Keeps them from coming back or sending work your way.

Name:  2C615EB8-19BC-4FEA-B8B3-0BA78E3FFDAF.jpeg
Views: 110
Size:  126.2 KB
    Last edited by Cyorg; 07-12-2019 at 09:54 PM.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

50% art 50% science, if you don't get equal penetration to both pieces of metal or lack back fill you're going to have a failure.
    Is way easier to weld 2 pieces of the same type and thickness material to begin with,
    if you are welding washing machines to motorcycle frames it just became 99% science and 1% art.

I used to sell and service microscopes that were used in destructive testing of such things, they do a test weld, cut a cross section of the test weld and then examine the metal structures and boundaries, was very cool stuff and gives you a far better appreciation of the science involved to do it right.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 07-13-2019 at 07:14 AM.

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldjeep View Post
    Learn to cut? You aren't using a tube notcher?
    I print out templates with a CAD program and trace it on the tubing. Rough cut with a cut off and finish on the grinding wheel.
    At one point, I could cut a tube and have it perfect for fit up in 5 minutes.
    Never bothered to get a tube notcher
    Last edited by jcw; 07-13-2019 at 08:27 AM.
    woodsman and gt alex like this.

its been slow going but time for a update.
    1st the engine is running again so the gumtree used cdi worked.
    The wiring looms have been rerun to fit the new rear
    the rear end is ready for sand blasting then I will be epoxy priming it, and I will get some 2 pack paint to match the oem frame colour.
    The new lithium battery fits just.
    I have started work on a single throttle body manifold which is just a experiment, the 42mm tb flows 450cfm and is a vintage mechanical setup (who knows how it will end up, I just can't help myself)

Anyway here's some pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    I print out templates with a CAD program and trace it on the tubing. Rough cut with a cut off and finish on the grinding wheel.
    At one point, I could cut a tube and have it perfect for fit up in 5 minutes.
    Never bothered to get a tube notcher
    Guess if you are only doing a couple that would be fine. Building roll cages that would have taken me forever, not to mention all the cutoff wheels and dust.

Quote Originally Posted by gt alex View Post
    its been slow going but time for a update.
    1st the engine is running again so the gumtree used cdi worked.
    The wiring looms have been rerun to fit the new rear
    the rear end is ready for sand blasting then I will be epoxy priming it, and I will get some 2 pack paint to match the oem frame colour.
    The new lithium battery fits just.
    I have started work on a single throttle body manifold which is just a experiment, the 42mm tb flows 450cfm and is a vintage mechanical setup (who knows how it will end up, I just can't help myself)

Anyway here's some pics
    Jeebus, those are some awful looking welds. I hope you take a lot of time to make sure that nothing breaks in the garage and at low speed before you subject any of that to real stress
    woodsman likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links