budget 2002 sv650 cafe racer
Close

This is a discussion on budget 2002 sv650 cafe racer within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi just registered, I am half way through but this is my first cafe racer so any advice is welcome. Here are some photos to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: budget 2002 sv650 cafe racer

Hi just registered, I am half way through but this is my first cafe racer so any advice is welcome.
    Here are some photos to kick things off.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Well, that is a different wat to go with an sv650

did you get it running again?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    did you get it running again?
    Not quite running yet. the reg/rec blew taking out the cdi, battery(li-ion), gauge cluster and headlight as well.(hope all else is ok) got a used cdi suzi wanted over $800. get reg/rec and still have the std battery so once the battery tray is finished(nearly there, this week I hope) fingers crossed it fires up. Then saving some money for a aftermarket gauge cluster and headlight.

Quote Originally Posted by gt alex View Post
    Not quite running yet. the reg/rec blew taking out the cdi, battery(li-ion), gauge cluster and headlight as well.(hope all else is ok) got a used cdi suzi wanted over $800. get reg/rec and still have the std battery so once the battery tray is finished(nearly there, this week I hope) fingers crossed it fires up. Then saving some money for a aftermarket gauge cluster and headlight.
    Holy! the effort and expense that people go through to run a li-ion battery is astounding! As you have discovered they don't have the same voltage discharge or charging characteristics as the original lead acid battery, so you are pretty much re-designing your entire electrical system to suit. Li-ion batteries have also been known to spontaneously combust on occasion, make sure you have plenty of fire insurance coverage and don't leave it in your garage on a charger for days on end.

Todays effort was working on the electrics tray.
    Welding splatter makes it a bit hard to see, but it look like it will work out and I think no wires will be visable when finished
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Todays effort was working on the electrics tray.
    Welding splatter makes it a bit hard to see, but it look like it will work out and I think no wires will be visable when finished

What welder and what wire are you using?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ic--ta...e_continue=152

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q5g_4hImecM
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Ews
    I almost bought a new SV650 in 06'... was ready to sign paperwork when a sweet deal on an 02' Sportster 883 dropped in my lap. I still wonder if I made the right choice. For me the SV650 was the perfect naked bike, easy enough for a young rider, but enough fun for an advanced rider too. Good looking off the factory floor and in need of nothing IMO.

I had to do a double take on the underside of that seat pan, looked like plywood for a second lol. Make sure you address all the functionality first, function over form...always. Personally I think it looked better stock, but if you like the seat that will hammer your back side like Broke back mountain, go for it. As long as your happy with the end product and it is safe, then who cares what assholes like me think lol.
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    What welder and what wire are you using?
    .9mm gassless wire with my handyman mig. I admit I have been struggling the metal came from my old dishwasher and is about .7mm thick.
    Thanks for the advice I will get som anti splater spray

.9mm gassless wire with my handyman mig. I admit I have been struggling the metal came from my old dishwasher and is about .7mm thick.
    Thanks for the advice I will get som anti splater spray
    You say MIG, but also no gas. Does your wire feed welder support both MIG and gasless welding? If so then make sure the polarity isn't backwards. You swap polarity when welding gasless /with gas.

Not sure I would trust my life to something you are building out of a scrap dishwasher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links