Father's day gift Honda CB350 Build
Close

This is a discussion on Father's day gift Honda CB350 Build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I'm new here, thought I would post my project and what I've done to it, Engine rebuild New Mikuni carbs New exhaust New rear sets ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Father's day gift Honda CB350 Build

I'm new here, thought I would post my project and what I've done to it,

Engine rebuild
    New Mikuni carbs
    New exhaust
    New rear sets
    New wheels and spokes
    New powder coat frame hubs etc
    Gas tank has been sealed and worked
    New tires

Currently working on a custom tuck an roll seat, wiring harness, and rear fender.

Name:  IMG_3347 (3).jpg
Views: 85
Size:  3.53 MB

Ews
    Is it going to be a street bike or track only?
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

Quote Originally Posted by Ews View Post
    Is it going to be a street bike or track only?
    It will be a street bike, I have a clear title and I just started building my custom harness for lights a few weeks ago, Name:  wires..jpg
Views: 89
Size:  2.26 MB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I don't like the lights much I think I have some better ones kicking around here somewhere. Even has a full digital instrument cluster. I'll try and post up a pic, maybe you can find something similar.

like this if it the link works: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323859260468
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 07-17-2019 at 01:34 PM.

you will have a blast wringhing its neck
    always let the thing run at low -ish rpm no loads until 30 seconds at least,this is how long it takes to get oil up to the cam followers and cam journals
    when first time start take out the oil fead witness plug and put an oil squirt can to the hole with motor oil and fill the air cavities

make sure the oil transfer piece is working and that the oil polisher has a nice pliable oring and that the cover is got oring and alighed properly
    when you are squirting oil in above it actually will be filling up voids to and including the oil polisher
    this will reduce the lag time a great deal on first start up
    be sure anbd retourque the cyl head nuts after just a short test ride or 2
    just want a couple heat cycles then retorque
    the mikuni carbs are a liability in my opinion
    nobdy sells correctly jetted mics and even so they are not good for street riding type usability
    by my own exp[erience the early cb750 k0 carbs are the perfect 350 twin carb set
    i am using them with only a change of mainjet size
    crisp clean running with awesome stumble-free throttle response
    it is the oval ventuiri shape and the fact that they are 4 stroke carbs from the drawing board is what makes em so good
    if you can get the mikunis jetted so be it butb you need to lengthen the intake port by moving the carbs back at least a co
    couple inches
    those mikunis have a large bell mouth so it is difficult to get the needed effect with aftermarket velocity stacks

That’s some serious technical info, thank you! I hope to get the carbs to work. I have fired the engine already actually the first time about a year ago, I try to fire it up every couple of weeks. It kicks off pretty easy. It was also ran on a rack when we built it at my buddies shop. Seems to rev smooth and idle great, we’ll get to see soon what it’s really like. I fried my front blinkers yesterday so got to start over on my wiring. Great fun,

Quote Originally Posted by pappavol View Post
    .... I fried my front blinkers yesterday ...
    How did that happen :/ you messing around with that silly LED conversion stuff? ... is so not worth the effort.
    Seen a guy with LED signal lights earlier this week, his signals were near useless, I noticed his signal flashing after he completed his turn. Stuff like that can get you killed.

Curious XB, what makes a carb a 4-stroke carb? Does it have an accelerator pump, or what's the deal there?

I would encourage you to take everything that XB is willing to share on the subject of Honda twins as gospel. Read his posts and watch and listen to his videos of him riding his 350. It revs quickly (owing, in large part to his having lightened the crankshaft-and maybe the rotor/flywheel), pulls strong and carburets cleanly. I think that it would be very difficult to plumb his knowledge on this subject, which knowledge he shares freely.
    I understand and appreciate the need to separate the wheat from the chaff when considering advice, especially from internet “experts.” However, I think that you will soon learn that there are some folks on this forum who bring a lot of real world, useful knowledge, gained from professional shop time and years of racing, tuning and being part of other aspects of the industry, to discussions held here.
    I also appreciate the desire to see if one can “find the key” to making something work (e.g., Mikuni VMs on your bike) that has been tried, in the past, without success, by engineers, tuners, racers, etc., or unleashing “hidden” power from an engine that has had huge amounts of development time and money already devoted to it. Looking back, I think that I would be hard pressed to think of an occasion where I was able to do so. (Applying new technology to an engine that has had thousands of hours of development time put into it already, e.g., adding electronic fuel injection, is, of course, another story.)
    All of that said, unless you have very little experience in building and tuning engines, are looking at this project as a learning experience and are willing to spend the time and money learning why others were unable to make a particular combination work, I would encourage you to take the advice of those who have gone before you and (truly) figured out what works. There are a number of such folks here.
    Good luck and welcome aboard. I wish I could have back some of the time and money that I spent trying to make things work that others with knowledge superior to mine told me would not.
    TrialsRider likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Curious XB, what makes a carb a 4-stroke carb? Does it have an accelerator pump, or what's the deal there?
    Here is a link that refers to Amal carburetors..... you can glean most of the differences. I vaguely remember something about an air passage in the two stroke carb that is not mentioned in Amal literature, but stand to be corrected on that. Also this makes reference to the pilot jet/ air screw only affecting idle to just off idle. I have never 100% subscribed to that theory even though most carb manufacturers seem to sing from the same song sheet. I have exchanged a few pleasantries with a fellow who has spent a fair amount of time in the world of jetting carburetors and he uses a flow bench to verify jet #s etc, which is a story in itself..... anyway according to his info (based on flow bench testing) the pilot jet is still contributing even at WOT at least that is the case with the particular carburetor he was testing. Perhaps not a large amount, but enough to alter A/F ratio.

https://www.princeton.edu/ssp/65-cub...albritbike.pdf
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links