Slowly starting work - Page 2
Close

Slowly starting work

This is a discussion on Slowly starting work within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by woodsman https://www.hindle.com/road-race/vin...st/1980-GS1100 thank you...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Slowly starting work

thank you

Another question for you gents, i would like to continue to run the stock rims at least for now. cant find a decent match set of tires? i have been to almost every tire site, even the vintage one. only set i found was shinko 712 and they look like crap. or should i just say fuck it and grab new rims??
    FT tire - 3.5-V19
    RR tire - 4.5-V17
    again thank you guys for all of your input.

also if anyone knows the proper way to take the tail off of this bike that would be killer, i'm trying to do it without braking anything. also the seat sits really loose in the latch/lock should i just shim the seat so to speak? i tried adjusting the latch system but the seat is still very shaky
    Last edited by MotoTeknic; 09-10-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Best performance tires are radials, sadly they are not offered in a lot of rim sizes, typically 17 inch rims to begin with.
    Alloy rims are a major upgrade from steel rims imho, lowers the unsprung weight significantly as do tubeless tires,
    and no you don't need mags to run tubeless tires, spoked tubeless type rims are a reality and they don't require rim locks as tube tires usually do (even more weight savings).

Saddle adjustment <- possibly some rubber bumpers missing or gone hard with age, try building up what it sits on instead of tightening it down at the hinge and latch. Also check the seat pan to see if it has been bent. Your bike being from 1980 will have very few rubber parts that are not in need of replacement.
    MotoTeknic likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MotoTeknic View Post
    that look spretty sweet, but it looks like you lose a lot of ground clearance though, have you had the chance to ride the bike with that on there?
    This doesn't effect the ground clearance in regards to a road/street bike. All the low points are directly underneath the centerline of the bike, so you won't be scraping anything during cornering. I suppose if you come across a particularly monstrous speed bump you might get stuck, but your cornering ground clarance is not negatively effected.

Here's my GS750 with a similar exhaust (this video is with an open megaphone. I've since made custom baffles for it)

Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoTeknic View Post
    Another question for you gents, i would like to continue to run the stock rims at least for now. cant find a decent match set of tires? i have been to almost every tire site, even the vintage one. only set i found was shinko 712 and they look like crap. or should i just say fuck it and grab new rims??
    FT tire - 3.5-V19
    RR tire - 4.5-V17
    again thank you guys for all of your input.

also if anyone knows the proper way to take the tail off of this bike that would be killer, i'm trying to do it without braking anything. also the seat sits really loose in the latch/lock should i just shim the seat so to speak? i tried adjusting the latch system but the seat is still very shaky
    The metric equivalent for your tyres are 100/90 front and 120/90 for the rear.
    Bridgestone BT45's and Avon Roadriders are available in those sizes, both are decent tyres
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    ... Avon Roadriders ...
    What do you like about them?

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    The metric equivalent for your tyres are 100/90 front and 120/90 for the rear.
    Bridgestone BT45's and Avon Roadriders are available in those sizes, both are decent tyres
    My 82 gs1100 should have the same rims. By 82 Suzuki was apparently supplying 100/90/19 front 130/90/17 rear, so that is what I put on mine. I used Continental TKV10/12. Rear won't last long, but handleing is precise and nimble and rubber is stickiest I have ever had with a non-radial.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    What do you like about them?
    I've only clocked up a handful of miles on Roadriders. Seemed fine in the dry, but can't comment on mileage or how they perform in the wet.
    The owners of the couple of bikes that I've had them fitted to seem to rate them.
    I nearly went for a pair of Avons on the NTV project earlier this year, but opted for Dunlop radials. Mainly because they where cheap, and I'm a tight arse.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Roadriders are cheap I will give you that,
    and they do last long enough that you can grow to hate them,
    which will be your first heavy rain storm.

I have her running for now... had a cheesy amazon slip on tip and welded some pip up... just to get her going, I will look into the tires reconvened, I’ve just been having issues with matching tread patterns for the rims because of the odd size difference. And unfortunately for me I’m trying to keep her as original as possible but with minor changes here and there. My next big issue is I noticed while doing a test run none of my gauges work as far as rpm fuel level, and speedo. It lights up just doesn’t register.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2aHh2In...d=65ax2v821v2h

Not sure if the link will work but that is her running for the first time in over 5 years. Yes I know she is ugly at the moment. Working on ride-ability first.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links