Battery relocation on an ST3 Ducati
Close

This is a discussion on Battery relocation on an ST3 Ducati within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I recently acquired a 2004 ST3. Good news is that all that plastic bodywork protected the hard parts. You can deduce what the bad news ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I recently acquired a 2004 ST3. Good news is that all that plastic bodywork protected the hard parts. You can deduce what the bad news was.

So the plan is to turn it into one of those fancy Cafe Racers that I keep reading about. The frame is more or less straight and forks and wheels are fine. Front (bald) tire has just been replaced along with broken bar and clutch reservoir. I did have ideas on keeping the stock headlamp and upper half fairing but that's missing at least half of the plastic and I can't be arsed molding and shaping foam to rebuild what's left and changing the shape.

So we are going naked - the bike not me and that's leaving all sorts of bits hanging out in the breeze making it look untidy. Brad Black has been incredibly helpful already pointing out some pitfalls in my ideas and generally keeping me pointed in the right direction.

The front cylinder coil has been relocated under the airbox already and I will have to hack a pound of copper out of the wiring loom to simplify it. I think I can relocate the ECU and Regulator/rectifier to the space previously occupied by the front toolbox but I may need to fit an early Monster oil separator tank to get the shape right. I can re-locate the fuses and relays that sit on the stock undertray.

That leaves me with two issues to resolve. First is whether to remove the lower rear frame and make it more like an early monster to appear higher and cleaner at the back end, and the second is relocating the battery. Not enough space under the tank without cutting and welding the tank or fitting a 999 or 1098 tank and that's not in the budget. Who am I kidding there is no budget.

Ayy thoughts on battery relocation? I hate putting all that weight in the tail, but can't see anywhere else to stuff it. All ideas appreciated.

I had a 92 GSXR 750 with a battery pasted to the counter shaft cover "tiny battery" in a nicely made of aluminum with rubber strap to keep the battery located in a crash. I say if it hangs out and is located for mass centralization WTF.

monster tank and battery mount? piss the airbox off, put pod filters on it and fit the battery at the front of the frame there? otherwise, under the seat.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    monster tank and battery mount? piss the airbox off, put pod filters on it and fit the battery at the front of the frame there? otherwise, under the seat.
    It currently has a DP airbox (top cut off) with a fluffy filter (PO didn't replace it recently or he lived with too many cats or dogs. How do they run with pods over the stock air intakes which are pretty large diameter velocity stacks?

I'm trying to keep the stock ridiculously large and ugly ST tank but I suppose I could flush it out and see if it's possible to create a hollow underneath to squeeze the battery in there.

Under the seat is probably an easier option even if I chop the lower rear frame rails.

The original plan was a sort of street tracker thing, but using the latest technology in crayons and paper, I can't make that work aesthetically. I tried a whole series of seats on it and cut down stock or early monster with a new rear hump is still winning. I even tried a Yamaha R7 seat which is almost as wide as the tank, but that makes the back end look heavy.Name:  DSCN4838.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  1.89 MB

I just found Brad's blog on fitting pods to an 888 and then found https://www.bellissimoto.com/parts/a...air-intake-kit which says to fit and aftermarket crankcase breather which I thought I read wasn't necessarily an improvement. It would free up that space by getting rid of the breather plenum though, so that's a plus.

I think I like Brad's approach if I can get my local tool and die guy to machine up a couple of adapters at a reasonable cost.
    Last edited by Teazer; 09-12-2019 at 12:00 AM.

battery in the airbox?

You mean sitting where the roof of the OEM airbox would normally be? Hadn't thought about trying to mount it up there. I'll check tomorrow to see if that's possible. Assuming an overnight tornado make it all moot.

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by Teazer View Post
    .Name:  DSCN4838.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  1.89 MB
    This looks good to me.

If you get one of those 8 cell lithium fe phos batteries, you could put it in the tail without worrying. Small and light.
    I run a 4 cell in my trackbike and it’s like the size of a carton of cigs and almost as light.
    Last edited by jcw; 09-13-2019 at 12:00 AM.

Don't know if this is of any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

there's no room under the st tank for that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links