1981 GS550L Power Mods?
Close

1981 GS550L Power Mods?

This is a discussion on 1981 GS550L Power Mods? within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I've got a '81 GS550 motor that i've recently pulled from the bike and put into a gokart frame that I intend on racing, I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By crazypj

Thread: 1981 GS550L Power Mods?

1981 GS550L Power Mods?

I've got a '81 GS550 motor that i've recently pulled from the bike and put into a gokart frame that I intend on racing, I know these motors are not fully optimized (from what i've heard) from the factory.
    I heard that jetting could pull some more power out of it and if thats a case what are the sizes?
    Also heard a bit about putting GS650 Cylinders and head, cam, or both together as well.
    As for right now I've put pod filters on it and cut the exhausts right before the muffler.
    I also have a small garret turbo off of a newer 4cyl jeep I had eventually planned on fitting to give it a few pounds with.

Any tips or pointers are really appreciated thank you in advance

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Ther answer is? How fast can you afford to go?
    I build a highly modified one for production racing 750 class. Way faster than the then 'new' Honda VFR750 but it wasn't cheap.Head porting took about 30 hrs, modified carbs, hand built exhaust,Major frame modifications, suspension, etc.
    A lot of time and effort. It did end up being a 175mph motorcycle though so how fast can you afford not how fast do you want? The 650 cams are pretty worthless, it was designed as a tourer so are very mild (unless you can get hold of the German Katana version?) Just scare yourself with what you already have, if you need faster it's way cheaper to buy a 10 yr old crashed sport bike (or pretty much any 2004 on sportbike)
    TrialsRider likes this.
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

If you hope to fit a turbo on it your carburetors are all going to be replaced anyway.

... and yes regular old Suzuki street bike motors are not highly stressed in stock form, if everything is still in decent service you can boost the output significantly before it will fly apart.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 10-03-2019 at 07:32 AM.

Sponsored Links