new builder
Close

new builder

This is a discussion on new builder within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; hey all I am new to the forum as a member but have been reading for some time, i am starting the build of my ...

Thread: new builder

new builder

hey all
    I am new to the forum as a member but have been reading for some time,
    i am starting the build of my 1980 CB750K, looking to see what years of other bikes will have double rotors upfront and disk rears, anyone swapped out wheels? whats involved?
    cheers

Just a suggestion: twice as many mediocre brakes does not equal better brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Just a suggestion: twice as many mediocre brakes does not equal better brakes.
    what upgrades are out there for breaks?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

CB900 perhaps. You probably need a complete front end and if you do that, there are probably better front ends to sue with stiffer forks. Maybe even a set of Goldwing forks?

Quote Originally Posted by ruffrider View Post
    what upgrades are out there for breaks?
    Brembo has an extensive catalogue of new modern brakes, a scrap yard will have plenty of possible upgrades in the form of brakes that are several generations newer and better then the ones you have now.

Here's the thing, your current brake callipers have 1 piston and to make it even worse your pads a likely round. That is ancient technology, newer generation brakes had 2 pistons and the good ones push against each other not both on the same side of the disc. Now comes along modern kick ass brakes, 4 pistons in pairs, pistons all pushing against each other. That right there is a one finger brake.

One disc is half the weight of 2 and making your front wheel lighter is a very good thing. A heavy front wheel is far more prone to wobble and more inertia for your mediocre suspension to deal with. A 2 or even better 4 piston brake setup would give you far more brake force then what you have now and better feedback through the lever without the mass and weight penalty that comes with vintage dual discs.

... and yes you are going to need to actually build stuff to do pretty much any upgrade, your lower fork legs and wheel were never designed to work with anything other then the OEM stock parts.

Sponsored Links