New build questions
Close

New build questions

This is a discussion on New build questions within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; hello all, I have been reading a lot over the last few month and i have pulled the trigger on a few items, but of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New build questions

New build questions

hello all, I have been reading a lot over the last few month and i have pulled the trigger on a few items, but of course looking for more
    to start
    1980 CB750K, currently stripped down the the frame
    purchases this far
    2007 GSXR 750 complete front end
    Cognito adapter for above
    2002 F4I rear wheel and caliper
    Cognito rear set kit
    Murrays dual carb kit
    Delkovic 4 to 1 exhaust system

thinking list
    Dyna 2000 ignition system
    Cycle X 3 phase charging system
    Cycle X oil cooler and filter
    cognito glassless mirrors
    m unit blue and some of there accesories

any advice on these? any other suggestions or comments will be appriciated

Holy! this is going to be an expensive twin cam CB750
    post some photos once it looks like a motorcycle

thoughts? your credit cards must be smoking.

Dual carb kit was a waste of money. they turn the engine into a torque engine instead of playing to its strengths as a mid range engine. If you wanted more torque, you should have bought a 900F. The carbs you want are the Kehin CR's but those aren't cheap. The dual carbs are basically a setup for people who car bad at tuning motorcycles, you give up power to have simplicity plus it is kind of a band aid for any problems your engine might have. I mean they look cool but that's it.

cb900f's came from the factory with oil coolers which can be retrofitted to cb750s, but if you want to buy a bolt on setup from cycle x don't let me stop you. Its a good part.

I hear mixed things about the M-unit, some people like them, and some people (mostly people that work on bikes for a living) hate the thing and think it's a waste of money. If you buy all their crap like the controls and stuff then maybe there is a point, but if you are using something else, why bother when you can just wire it yourself?

Buy your electronics stuff from Rick's - it's basically where all the stuff out there comes from:
    https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/category/

You could have saved some money on the frotn end by using a cbr1000 hurricane F0 front end with a cbr600 f2 front wheel and brakes, but eh....it sounds like you just wanted to light money on fire with that parts list.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I like reading Ohlins and Pirelli in descriptions. Is this going to be a chopped arse photo exercise or are you building a road bike?

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    I like reading Ohlins and Pirelli in descriptions. Is this going to be a chopped arse photo exercise or are you building a road bike?

for the cost of the bullshit parts being spent, there better be Ohlins or works shocks on the shopping list.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    for the cost of the bullshit parts being spent, there better be Ohlins or works shocks on the shopping list.
    It amazes me where they spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    It amazes me where they spend money.

Well to be fair there are some good parts in this list too. I'd consider a dyna2000 if I could. The cognito stuff isn't terrible, it's just heavily overpriced for what it is, but on some things it is the only game in town unless you want to make your own parts.

The gsxr front end thing is a little funny to me. That swap became popular because it retained the stock geometry for a SOHC cb750, it's not because the gsxr forks are amazing forks. yes the brakes and forks are better than 1970's 35mm and single puck single caliper brakes, but it's still an OEM fork setup for a completely different bike and to really be good requires to be setup for the new bike and rider with springs and oil. I've seen guys buy them off the internet and bolt them on with expensive cognito parts and the fork is weaping down the leg because of a bad fork seal. There is more to this stuff than just buying parts and bolting it together, and a lot of it comes from trial and error (hence why nobody ever recommends tearing a bike down to the frame on the first go around) and I feel like that is the knowledge missing from the knowledge base.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

This will be a daily rider, I’m looking for reliability over performance, I am enjoying the build, don’t worry about my finances if I was concerned about that I would go on a financial forum, thank you for all the advice on what I am looking at and what I are good or bad options for the build.
    I will be adding a seat loop, hoping for an intergraded led light, any lighting opinions? Headlight also
    Cheers

Would I want my signals integrated with my headlight and tail light, hell no, not for the street,
    motorcycles are invisible enough as they are, those integrated signal things make your signals less obvious, you know it and I know it.

Best luck with your motorcycle modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by ruffrider View Post
    This will be a daily rider, I’m looking for reliability over performance
    yeah....I wouldn't assume that just because something is a "performance" part doesn't mean it's reliable. When it comes to suspension stuff - performance stuff is not only "reliable" in it's function, it puts less wear on other components like swingarm busings, tires, etc.

I am enjoying the build, don’t worry about my finances if I was concerned about that I would go on a financial forum,
    Ok, if you want us to spend your money, fine. I just don't want to hear some whiny bitchy excuse later on down the road about $800 for ohlins when you overpaid for cognito moto gsxr swap parts. [QUOTE=ruffrider;639699]
    [QUOTE=ruffrider;639699]

thank you for all the advice on what I am looking at and what I are good or bad options for the build.
    I will be adding a seat loop, hoping for an intergraded led light, any lighting opinions? Headlight also
    Cheers

I feel like I should have done this at the beginning before you went and started buying parts but meh....

Rear end:
    - Swingarm: for pure bolt on source a 1983 cb1100F swingarm. It's steel painted silver to look like it's alloy, but it's a nice heavy piece of kit and is better than the round tube and pressed steel stocker. If you really want the best of the best reach out to https://www.motogpwerks.com/ and get your name on the waiting list for one of his cal-tech superbike swingarms. It will also solve some of your problems as to how to get a disc brake to work on your drum brake rear swingarm.

- GO buy Ohlins or Works shocks from a real dealer (not just off the internet). Why a real local retailer? because they will set them up for your weight and the bikes weight. you wil get better rebound, better damping, and if you buy ohlins that will impress everyone.

- Rear wheel and brakes: Honestly you already bought the F4i wheel, but I would have recommended the cbr600F2 rear wheel instead. why? the chain line is already correct and it swaps right on to the cb750 rear axle just by mixing and matching spacers. Yes it limits you to a 160 rear tire, but do you really need 180? the F4i rear wheel probably also fits the rear axle but I don't know about the chain line - the F4 was a pretty big departure from the prev-gen f2/3 bikes.
    - rear hoop- rea
    - Foot controls: honda in europe sold cb750F's with rearset lower foot plates called "sport kits". these are bolt on to your bike if you get the longer F model engine mounting bolts since they mount to the rear engine mount at the frame. The most desireable ones are the trellis design off the cb1100f. stock 750/900F sport kits should run you about $150 plus shipping, but trellis ones are about double that. They are built like a bridge since you are worried about "reliable". All the bolt on aftermarket versions like these Tarozzi Rearsets Fixed Rubber Covered Footpegs by Tarozzi require the euro sport kit foot plates off an 79-82 F model supersport anyway so you are kind of limited. Everything else requires welding.

- rear hoop: yeah these are pretty stupid. IT comes from people copying the rear fender mount on british bikes, but often people make too many mistakes when installing them. There needs to be clearance at full compression between your rear tire and the "hoop" and 99% of the "flat ones" I see out there don't have that. rubbing the tread off your rear tire is hard;y safe or reliable, esp if you are buying an expensive tire. This guy covers in detail what I am talking about so read here: https://purposebuiltmoto.com/fitting...cer-tail-hoop/

lighting:

So the trick to "good lighting" is when the bike is off to look like there are almost no lights on the thing, but when the bike is on and running at night it looks like one of those thousand light big rigs running down the highway.

If I can't talk you out of the almost invisible nonsense that as hoop with an integrated taillight, then let me at least try to convince you to add more "semi-hidden" lights so that when you step on the brake the driver behind you is actually aware and your piece of safety equipment actually acts like one.

- Helmet light: These work like a 3rd brake light on your car - putting a safety light at eye level and even integrating your turn signals. Plus it isn't on the bike so when you park, those people you are trying to hard to impress aren't going to deduct "points" for a visible taillight https://www.arosetop.com/products/ar...CABEgKutvD_BwE

- flexible LED lights: I don't have a link on this because you can get them anywhere. Part of the problem with an "integrated" signa/tailight is visibility from the side, and believe me that matters. The nice thing about most waterproof flexible LED strips is the can conform to most shapes and can be hidden on most black surfaces when off. so putting a few on the black exposed frame rails of your bike on the side to act as side signals isn't going to hurt your "style points". you can also mount them to bodywork to help hide them.

catch my drift?
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links