1997 Kawasaki ER500 project - Page 2
Close

1997 Kawasaki ER500 project

This is a discussion on 1997 Kawasaki ER500 project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Mounting a license plate is always a challenge if you are trying to make it look pretty :/ it is the ugliest thing that you ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 1997 Kawasaki ER500 project

Mounting a license plate is always a challenge if you are trying to make it look pretty :/ it is the ugliest thing that you could possibly put on any motorcycle or car.
    Anything that does not draw your eye to it or make it more noticeable (other then as required by law) is a visual improvement.

... like painting things you Don't want to stand out with black paint.

Cyorg,

I didn't think that you were playing grammar cop, but got a kick out of the "godless creation" phrase (still has me laughing out loud)!

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post

... like painting things you Don't want to stand out with black paint.
    I beg to differ....

(I believe its an beautifully done Egli Vincent knock off (and not an original) made by the late Patrick Godet)

Name:  F61895CB-58C7-4B9D-956B-E9DEB5F5FBE2.png
Views: 31
Size:  1.08 MB

Although having said that, I'm preparing myself (mentally) to powder coat a belly pan black that I spent countless hours banging out of aluminum....which begs the question... if you were going to end up just coating it, then why the fuck didn't you just make it out of fibreglass?
    jcw likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by upperb View Post
    Cyorg,

I didn't think that you were playing grammar cop, but got a kick out of the "godless creation" phrase (still has me laughing out loud)!
    Glad someone found humour in it.... lord knows we could use a good laugh these days. Its probably as close as you can get to the verboten subject of religion without Tex swaggering in here and putting a cap in my ass. Just in case he does... I'll thank him in advance.
    Rizza likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Perhaps you were shown leniency, since you used a small "g."
    Cyorg likes this.

I'm terrible at spelling, but I would like to think I can at least read! however I've apparently demonstrated to the contrary! I deserve the "godless creation" quip.

So the swing arm mounted number plate is definitely cause to brake out the smelling salts its seems, I'm aware that its un-sprung weight, and that's a performance negative, but surely its no worse than a hard-tail would have to deal with in terms of extra vibration. Plus I've seen loads of aftermarket swing arm mounted plate brackets on sale, so I assumed it wasn't that much of an issue? it really is very light weight.

The brake upgrade, I've seen it done a few times, something of a common upgrade for the ER5 (if there is such a thing) these bike's used to be used as trainer bikes by test centres in the UK because they are very forgiving, designed to be low cost simple, easy to ride commuter bikes.
    It's my understanding that the leading small pot (as stock) means you get a more progressive brake feel, it's less snatchy (better for stop start city riding) but this sacrifices all out brake bite. I know form experience that if you push on a bit the stock brakes are really bad! the ER6 brake swap has been done, the caliper has a lager pad contact aria, people say its improves the braking quite a bit, the caliper cost my £20, it's worth a shot. I'm not spending much on this build...its a ER5! I want to use it to hone my building skills on and just have a bit of fun with.
    Last edited by Rizza; 10-21-2019 at 01:46 PM.

At the end of the day it is going to be a street bike, so personally I wouldn’t fret about unsprung weight too much. Your fellow countrymen (assuming you are in the UK) built Vincents and they have a lot more than just the plate bracket and light going along for a ride on its pivoting rear frame member. It also has the headlight attached to the boingy part of the front forks. In my humble opinion, the long hoop that your plate/ light will be mounted on the will be flexing constantly. Unless it’s spring steel, it probably won’t like that. I’m assuming it’s not made from solid bar. If you are in the UK, then what are the MOT curmudgeons going to say about it?
    Rizza likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

I guess I'll find out one way or the other, the hoop is stainless steel solid 10mm bar, I'm pretty sure it weighs in at less than 500g. and it's got a reinforcing strut as well. I'm no expert but I've done fabrication work on cars and I'm fairly confident it'll be fine.
    as for the MOT, well my car passed it's last one without a working horn, but I know the guy so I guess that helps

Stainless (some grades more than others) tends to work harden quite quickly so depending on how much it flexes it may develop cracks... so I would keep an eye on it.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Um, no, sorry but you are wrong about brakes, but have fun with it is all good.

... people usually bolt that type of bracket on so you can remove it and ease removal of the rear wheel. Like if you have a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere.
    The unsprung weight you are adding, is also hanging waaaay off the back, there is no place it could contribute or experience greater inertial forces,
    you know about leverage, yes? You built a lever.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 10-21-2019 at 06:36 PM.
    woodsman likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links