Another ER-5 piece of shit being made into a cafe. :D - Page 2
Close

Another ER-5 piece of shit being made into a cafe. :D

This is a discussion on Another ER-5 piece of shit being made into a cafe. :D within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Don’t think so, haven’t checked yet. Why? What am I missing here?...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Another ER-5 piece of shit being made into a cafe. :D

Don’t think so, haven’t checked yet. Why? What am I missing here?
    Chaos.....panic.....destruction......My work here is done!

Quote Originally Posted by Exuptoy View Post
    Don’t think so, haven’t checked yet. Why? What am I missing here?
    Your rear shock mounts were located and supported by a big triangle :| you killed the big triangle,
    how are you going to weld in a replacement with no jig and no original frame to hold things in relation to one another?
    ... and how are you going to weld onto an old piece of unknown steel tube as good as the factory original weld? You better be a phenomenal welder.

Oops, now way man, I just seen one of your blob welds
    read up on round tube butt joint workpiece preparation and the importance of weld penetration,
    practice making and breaking (destructive testing) some test pieces using similar materials to what you are attempting to weld.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

No you didn't see one of my blob welds. It wasn't meant to be structural, it's a support holding the tank mount in place to keep a fixed point for the fuel tank.It isn't going anywhere

There will be spigots plug welded into the frame which in turn will be plug welded into the subframe then seam welded. I know one end of a welder from the other.

I replaced 40% of the chassis on my 73 Bay Window camper. I’m not a welder but I can do more than your usual hobbyists pigeon shit blobs! I wouldn’t be entertaining this work if I wasn’t confident in my abilities.

Name:  BCA66A42-37A0-4FB7-A697-052F5D003C59.jpeg
Views: 12
Size:  195.9 KB

Name:  8378E2E2-9632-4C1B-AF3F-A9D7F33C95E4.jpeg
Size:  148.3 KB

Before

Name:  FA06C6A6-4345-4B44-B2F7-E6DBA5518323.jpeg
Views: 11
Size:  145.5 KB

During

Name:  ABE0B3E1-A4DF-4F43-A24A-7F9A21D8357F.jpeg
Size:  112.0 KB

Name:  AC4964C5-9FA5-420C-8066-A32C8E53A7F0.jpeg
Size:  109.9 KB

After

Name:  C0B8F9D4-804A-451A-93F1-7B9E93C8E2DF.jpeg
Size:  132.1 KB
    Last edited by Exuptoy; 01-10-2020 at 07:24 PM.

The Cafe title attracts a lot of butchers. I agree with Trials that a couple braces would have been a good idea before cutting. It would be a shame if some of it's old stresses show up.

The tail end looks a little high.

Bay window camper a Volkswagen?

Yeah, the camper is 47 years old and was a basket case. The chassis is maybe 95% complete and hopefully it’ll be back on it’s wheels this year then I can finish the bodywork before building the engine. Too many projects.

I understand there are a lot of guys and in my short time here I’ve seen the standard of projects because someone saw a nice cafe racer made fro a classic and thinks they can do the same but hold no ability. I hope I have shown with my work thus far that I’m not an unskilled buffoon.

The problems with trying to brace everything is where to brace it from as I’m going to need to place a tube where the existing tubes live. My thinking is the existing supports for the shocks are made in 25mm tube, they’re tied together side to side, they’re gusseted and they are currently not supporting the bike as it is suspended. If I remove one shock it’ll go straight back on without adjusting anything which proves it is still stable and has not moved.
    Yes the arse end is too high as the shocks are 50mm longer than standard and the new upper mounts will be remanufactured to correct this.
    That is my only concern as I will have then modified the dimensions of the said triangle by making the shock slightly more upright and I will have changed the dimensions of the triangle very slightly and I do not know to what end. I did take measurements prior to starting and I could go back to standard length shock and nothing else would change. Can anyone here offer a shred of advice in this area? Will this minor change massively affect the rising rate etc or the rake & trail? If a minor 2 or 3 degree difference of the orientation with affect anything? I assume the original bike will have lazy rake and trail figures due to its nature and maybe a slight tail high stance will assist with turn in etc but this is the only area where I have minimal knowledge ( I have modified another bikes suspension previously when I fitted a full Hayabusa front end and ZXR750 rear end to a street fightered GPZ750R and the rake and trail figures of the final article were similar to a ZX6R so it actually rode well.

If anyone can offer some constructive advice regarding the suspension It’d be most appreciated
    Last edited by Exuptoy; Yesterday at 02:34 AM.

Just as long as you understand what welding really is:
    You have your piece of steel on your left, you have your piece of steel on your right and you have some welding rod material,
    if all three of these things do not melt and combine, stitch and meld together at the molecular level to form one piece of steel.

This is not a weld, it's a steel glue joint. Whatever you do don't make steel glue joints or they will fail.

Oh, OK.

I’d happily cut apart any of my structural welds to prove I had full fusion or penetration. My machine will run up to 185A with a very good duty cycle.
    Last edited by Exuptoy; Yesterday at 10:22 AM.

What are you welding with?

You know after careful consideration, I think you may as well make it a home built mono-shock, you've lost all of the reference points that made it a twin-shock.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links