My Black Bomber Cafe' Project...
Close

This is a discussion on My Black Bomber Cafe' Project... within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey guys, remember me? I posted a while back about the CB450/Bomber Cafe project I was getting ready to start on.. Well I've been busier ...

Hey guys, remember me? I posted a while back about the CB450/Bomber Cafe project I was getting ready to start on.. Well I've been busier than a 3-legged cat in a litter box over the past few months and hadn't done anything on the bike but work on it in my head. This weekend I finally got down to it and worked on it some.

I started out with a titled 71CB450 and a mix of Bomber parts. As I've continued on the bike has gotten lighter and lighter. I'm sure it has something to do with "Ahhh, what a pain to make that work. Do I really need it?" But seriously, light is right and I've decide to build and absolute stripped down "dirty racer."

Thus far I've sand blasted and powder coated the frame. I got frame up on the rack this weekend (sorry, no pics yet) and started piecing things together little by little. I ended up spending about 6 hours alone on the damn front forks. The aluminum was totally pitted and fuct. I started with 150grit paper and worked my way all the way up 800grit abralon pads. Finished it off with some polish and now there almost as bright as chrome.. Sweet! One problem though - the upper fork tubes are too far gone can anyone recomend where I can pickup a new set? I'd also like to stiffen up the springs. Can I get away with the old hunk'0'PVC trick or should I search out some new springs?

I also spent a shite load of time on the original heavy bastage wheels... I was able to polish them up really nice but there is still a lot of pitting and one wheel has some pretty bad rust. I'm having a hard time spending any money on these wheels as I could opt for a lighter aluminum set. Can anyone recommend setups they're using with aluminum spokers? I was thinking about an Excel dirtbike wheel...? Am I nuts? Not sure what I would do about the hubs though.

As for the brakes I saw a trick as front rotor on another CB that was cross-drilled but looked stock. Does anyone know who makes em?

The plan is to fit some tires to the wheels this week and get them bolted up so it's a roller. After that I'm building it little by little. My boy still has the engine (bored over 50cc, 500head, ETC...) so I've still got some time.

Plans are to use the bomber tank (I know some hate it, I love it) I just need to find someone or the right stuff to clean and seal the inside. Any recommendations?

I've been testing some capacitors and I found one (the size of your thumb) that will work to completely remove the battery. It takes 1-2 kicks to build up enough charge to get the bike going. Once it runs it's a beauty. On the cafe I'm going to run discreet blinkers and a tail with a single simple headlamp. No gauges or other shite. Keeping it VERY simple.

I could use some advice on clip on's and levers. I'm going to smooth out the triple tree and since there are no gauges I'm going with a simple computer unit center mounted. I'm having a hard time deciding if I want the clips above the tree or in between the top and bottom (right above or below the light bracket.) Can any one comment on position or type of clips? If I can get a set cheap enough it doesn't make sense to spend the time fabbing them up. I'm also thinking I can get away with a simple universal master cylinder no? I'm going to make up braided cable to match both ends so I should be ok. Same thing with the clutch...?

I've been struggling over the rear section and what to do... My problem is this - I want to be able to ride a bitch if need be. I know I know... Work with me on this. I think I can put something together out of aluminum similar to what RSD has done on his bikes.

http://www.alpinestars.com/clothing0...rBuildOff.html

On the upper rear section it'll roll down on the so it won't be super comfortable but with a little pig skin on top and some padding it should be stomach-able and still look tits. But before I can do this I need to get tank up and mounted along with the clips so I can find my ride spot. Depending on where I end up putting the controls will depend on where I can fab up and mount a bitch set. I think I can put it all together... My crazy ideas usually come to fruition.

..any how that's enough for now. I'm going to work on it over the next few weeks and hope to have it road ready shortly. A bit busy with an XR650 preparing for Baja but I'll make the time.

Thanks all!

...i did it one piece at a time

quote:

One problem though - the upper fork tubes are too far gone can anyone reccomend where I can pickup a new set? I'd also like to stiffen up the springs. Can I get away with the old hunk'0'PVC trick or should I search out some new springs?
    Try the 'bay. Stiffer springs? Check out: http://www.progressivesuspension.com/

quote:
    I also spent a shite load of time on the original heavy bastage wheels... I was able to polish them up really nice but there is still a lot of pitting and one wheel has some pretty bad rust. I'm having a hard time spending any money on these wheels as I could opt for a lighter aluminum set. Can anyone recommend setups they're using with aluminum spokers? I was thinking about an Excel dirtbike wheel...? Am I nuts?
    Watch out for dirtbike rims that have been pre-drilled. They are set up for a wider dirt hub. When you go to lace them up to a street hub, the spokes will bend.

quote:
    As for the brakes I saw a trick as front rotor on another CB that was cross-drilled but looked stock. Does anyone know who makes em?
    Any good machine shop can do it for you. Make sure they chamfer the holes....

quote:
    Plans are to use the bomber tank (I know some hate it, I love it) I just need to find someone or the right stuff to clean and seal the inside. Any recommendations?
    If its just got surface rust you can clean it out by sloshing muriatic acid and some old nuts around in there. It'll rust back up in a hurry though. Do a forum search, I remember this technique coming up a year or so ago. As far as treating/re-sealing the tank, I've heard mixed results about Kreem. I had the gas tank of my Jeep CJ coated by a radiator shop back in high school. Do they still do this?

quote:
    I could use some advice on clip on's and levers. I'm going to smooth out the triple tree and since there are no gauges I'm going with a simple computer unit center mounted. I'm having a hard time deciding if I want the clips above the tree or in between the top and bottom (right above or below the light bracket.) Can any one comment on position or type of clips?
    This all depends on how high your seat ends up being.

quote:I'm also thinking I can get away with a simple universal master cylinder no? I'm going to make up braided cable to match both ends so I should be ok. Same thing with the clutch...?
    Yep. A favorite trick around here is to use early 90's CBR600 master cylinders.

quote:I've been struggling over the rear section and what to do...
    Me too. Its a pain in the ass. (ouch. bad pun.)

Honda go sideways!

Ok, ordered up a set of Woodmans clip ons.. Should be here later this week. $150 bills, ouch! Should be nice though plus they can be removed without breaking down the tree. Still trying to find a set of upper fork tubes....any ideas?

If the clip-ons arrive and I find a set of fork tubes I can put the front end together this coming weekend hopefully. Along with that I'm going to send the wheels out to one of two places (Buchanans' or a local guy here in Tampa) to have the hubs cleaned up, new spokes installed along with new polished aluminum wheels. Should be sweet!

I also ordered some POR-15 tank cleaner today, I'll get the bomber tank cleaned inside and out and send it off to the painter. I need to have the side panels re-chromed as well. Not sure on the paint scheme... It's going to black and polished silver but I think I'm going to integrate some "worn" look into the black paint around the edges. Should be cool.

Once I have her rolling and have the tank mounted I'll start f'ing with the rear sets. Right now I'm finding nice custom sets for 200 bills + which is a shit load IMOP...any cheaper "nicer" looking CB methods out there?

..pics to come soon

...i did it one piece at a time

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

FZR600 or pre-2005 GSXR rearsets work great.

My CB450 project:
    https://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2827

por15 is the snizzle! kreem blows!

you wrote, "Excel dirtbike wheel...? Am I nuts?"

yep, your nuts. find a set of undrilled borrani or akront shouldered rims. polish the shit out of them if they aren't all ready done, then send then to buchanon with your hubs, and pay the money for a job done right. no truing, nothing.....when you get them back they will be plug and play bolt on dead nuts reliable.

good luck.

texy

p.s.- post some goddamn pics already.

Sponsored Links