NEW BUILD: 1980 Honda CM400T, to be: Cafe of Glory - Page 3
Close

NEW BUILD: 1980 Honda CM400T, to be: Cafe of Glory

This is a discussion on NEW BUILD: 1980 Honda CM400T, to be: Cafe of Glory within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; moth scraped?...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    moth scraped?

Just a heads-up - the cx500d tank will be significantly longer than stock (probably 3-4 inches at least) so plan for that when you are imagining your rear tank mounts/seat front.

Looking good!

thanks borswazie, i kinda picked that up from your thread...its not gonna happen right now anyway. if i can talk my wife into spending more cash on the bike, maybe this winter. right now i just want to get it out on the road before its too cold.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member Pinche Chingadera's Avatar
    Is that seat stock cause my stock seat was a massive sofa compared to that thing. I probably gonna be looking at getting a different seat since my frame rails at about an inch too wide overall for it to fit like I want. I'll even include the seat bracket too for free. I dig the headlight bucket as I'm looking for one like that which has an opening for a tach/speedo.
    Once your dead, life just ain\'t worth living.

Is that seat stock cause my stock seat was a massive sofa compared to that thing. I probably gonna be looking at getting a different seat since my frame rails at about an inch too wide overall for it to fit like I want. I'll even include the seat bracket too for free. I dig the headlight bucket as I'm looking for one like that which has an opening for a tach/speedo.

the seat is not quite stock. the pan im pretty sure is stock-the mounts and the locking mechs. all line up, with different/smaller upholstery.

i think im gonna have to hold on to this one for now, i only have enough money left for some rearsets at the moment.

as for the headlight: ebay search "ural headlight" and look at ebay stores for "mhmetalheart" its the chinese ural knockoff bikes. reasonable parts FAST shipping. considering it comes from china. i paid $90 shipped for mine, then bought a ural speedo. i had to grind out the speedo hole a bit for it to fit, and it doesnt have a gasket, im thinking silicone.

other updates: got my UNI pod filters in and mounted yesterday. now its a little bit of reworking my ignition switch (had to move the mount as it hit my speedo in the bucket), and getting my indicator lights in. still waiting for front turn sigs (mini bullets), and mirrors. modding the taillight mount a bit and repainting. pics to come soon.

the seat is not quite stock. the pan im pretty sure is stock-the mounts and the locking mechs. all line up, with different/smaller upholstery.

i think im gonna have to hold on to this one for now, i only have enough money left for some rearsets at the moment.

as for the headlight: ebay search "ural headlight" and look at ebay stores for "mhmetalheart" its the chinese ural knockoff bikes. reasonable parts FAST shipping. considering it comes from china. i paid $90 shipped for mine, then bought a ural speedo. i had to grind out the speedo hole a bit for it to fit, and it doesnt have a gasket, im thinking silicone.

other updates: got my UNI pod filters in and mounted yesterday. now its a little bit of reworking my ignition switch (had to move the mount as it hit my speedo in the bucket), and getting my indicator lights in. still waiting for front turn sigs (mini bullets), and mirrors. modding the taillight mount a bit and repainting. pics to come soon.

been a while, some pics of the bike. these dont really do he hours i have spent justice, and its no head-turner, but here it is anyway.

from the side view...not really that different looking. kinda depressing when i ponder the hours spent.

from the frontish. the side covers are plastic, but they look pretty nice. i had to rivet one side to fix it, so i put a rivet in the other side for uniformity.

oh the joys. here we see my in progress tripleclamp mod...used one of the holes for a choke, getting rid of the instrument tabs. also, you can see my custom fab indicator light front and center. i also had to rivet the actual lamps inside the thing, rewire, etc. and not being electrically inclined, that was the most bewildering thing so far.

very slim profile. hey, its a parallel twin. what'dyou expect?

i like this angle a lot.

my battery's kinda hanging out there, gotta do something about that.

from behind. i like this angle

from the front

so, to call it "finished" would be untrue, but i really want to ride this thing before it gets too cold.
    I NEED SOME HELP, please. i tried starting it for the first time yesterday, and both pistons are turning over, the right side really wants to start, the left is just puffing out coldish air. i pulled out the plug and checked to make sure it is sparking, it is. so im assuming this is carburetor related. all ive done to that end was spray the hell out of them (offa the engine) with aerosol cleaner. im a newb. this is my first bike ever. i know shit about this. tell me what to do, and i will try to do it. ideas?

im also thinking in terms of. "what can i do over the winter after its too cold to ride?" the answer to that is:

id still like to do the cx500 tank and make a rear cowl, potentially move my battery, etc. into there, but the more i look at it, the less i hate the side covers, so i dont know. thoughts? obviously a new tank means paint, for both cowl and tank, probably black with some handpainted white details (im an artist by trade, so...)? probably cut the pipes at a 45 angle facing out. and to finish my triple clamp mod and get the rest of that paint offa there. then if theres time, maybe polish up the engine a little better. its still got some dirt.

oh, i almost forgot. i have some rearsets from a guy i met on FZR forums, now i need to figure a way to use them...mount them. so that will be good.

Custom Pinche fab'd mirror at it's finest. Looks good.

Take the carbs apart. Trust me, if you can do all that to the bike, you can handle the carbs.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links