NEW BUILD: 1980 Honda CM400T, to be: Cafe of Glory - Page 4
Close

NEW BUILD: 1980 Honda CM400T, to be: Cafe of Glory

This is a discussion on NEW BUILD: 1980 Honda CM400T, to be: Cafe of Glory within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I like what you've got going on this one, good job. Personally, I'd leave the seat, it's not bad at all. Pitch your rear fender ...

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I like what you've got going on this one, good job. Personally, I'd leave the seat, it's not bad at all. Pitch your rear fender and hang a small cat-eye tail light off the back of the seat and you're golden. As well...you'll have someplace to carry a female.

You could also hang a couple oval number plates on the side to cover the battery and associated spaghetti.

It does sound like rebuilding the carbs should be your next step.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

Looks fantastic! great job. Definitely keep that seat, it's very unique and good looking. The only reason why i started cutting my stuff up is because my seat was ripped and the seat pan was completely rusted out.

What kind of exhaust are you planning to run?

PINCHE: woot to the mirror. it really cleaned up well. thanks again for throwing that in.

7ZARK7: thanks for the vote of confidence...if i have time this weekend (and its not too cold), im gonna give that a try.

SWAGGER: seriously, i appreciate the kind words. difficult sometimes to be happy with something when id imagined it being so much cooler...thanks for the suggestions. im thinking something similar-chop the fender down to almost nothing, then put the light butted right up behind the seat, and the license plate dangling off. i do really like having the potential to carry two. of course i dont have any passenger footpegs at the moment. i had imagined myself making a removable cowl/cap so it could go as 1 or 2up. thats still vaguely the plan if i get a new tank over the winter.

PAVEL: once again, thanks for the encouragement. i think i like the seat too, and i have no plans to trash it. as for exhaust, youre looking at it. im probably gonna cut the pipes abut an inch further up at a 45deg. angle facing out. and that will be that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member Pinche Chingadera's Avatar
    Hey no prob on the mirror. I noticed after I installed my clubsman that I couldn't see squat as the mirror wouldn't adjust far enough to be usable. So I hacked it up and tried to position myself on how I would sit and hold the mirror inplace to weld it. It doesn't look like it would be hard but that stupid little mirror would keep it's position when I tacked it.
    Once your dead, life just ain\'t worth living.

ok, so i HAVE NOT pulled the carbs off to troubleshoot yet, as i have no clean work space at the moment. in the meantime, i tried to start it again over the weekend. same results, except it idled with one cylinder for a few minutes (at full choke) before dying. i kinda thought maybe id "warm up" the right cylinder if it idled long enough. yes, i am ignorant.

SO ANYWAY... i accidentally left the petcock on afterward, and didnt notice until a few hours later. i walked out and saw a puddle (or rather, a dark stain) under the bike. it was gas, dripping out of the bottom of the left carb (this is the problem carb) out of some overflow or runoff valve. could this be related to my problem? how might i fix this?

get some rebuild kits for your carbs and a bucket of carb dip and a dipping basket. Then disassemble the carbs and dip them. install the new carb kits. total for all of this is about $100 or so but its the best way to get your bike running right.

That rear tire looks huge! but i love the headlight.
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

Agreed, Get a couple carb rebuild kits, Berryman's bucket w/basket, DO ONE CARB AT A TIME!! (don't ask) If you've done all that, servicing the carbs will have you scratching your head, goin, "What was so hard about that?"

I like the looks of this bike, good job so far, especially for your first. I like the seat. Keep it. Yes, it's hard to get that trad cafe look with an 80. They're kinda swayback, cruiser frame thingies. Looks good though. Like the headlight. Keep that armor all of your tires like what was said before or you'll be enjoying picking asphalt out of your hide.

Oh, yeah. Get a littler tail light too like someone else said. It's more go fasty

do we think this would work?

I have been told that non-OEM needle and seat are a bad idea because they do not hold up and will cause the thing to flood again eventually.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links