NEW BUILD: 1980 Honda CM400T, to be: Cafe of Glory
Close

This is a discussion on NEW BUILD: 1980 Honda CM400T, to be: Cafe of Glory within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; When I bought it had been outside about a year in new mexico, only rust by battery box (no breather tube for battery), oil grime, ...

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

When I bought it had been outside about a year in new mexico, only rust by battery box (no breather tube for battery), oil grime, not chopped or made to look stupid.

I bought it off CL for $250. Turns over. Havent been able to test engine because of electrical issues. So far, I've cleaned/fixed the wiring harness. New Starter solenoid, speedo cable. disassembled. cleaned frame, prep for paint. hope to paint tonight. then start cleaning/replacing some of the parts I took off.

Thinking of buying a ural headlight setup (with the speedo/indicator lights in the bucket), clip-ons, signal lights...other than the oil leak, im hoping the motor is in good shape. This is my first project, so any help or ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Get us some pics, it makes reading the post more enjoyable, Sound like quite the project though, Good Luck

word. will mosdef get some photos up tonight.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

So, I have some picture of the bike ALMOST right after i bought it. it did have the side covers and seat and headlight and wiring intact...by the time of these photos i had already begun disassembly. This gives you some idea: its in pretty good shape, but the harness was problematic, and there was a lot of acid rust and oil grime.

i repainted the frame the other day and some other pieces yesterday, started piecing it back together today...you can see my paint job here, and a pic of the motor. it needs to be cleaned; havent been able to try starting yet, since the wiring had issues but it turns over. im not planning to do any engine work. wanna actually ride it before winter.

i know its not much to look at yet, but thats where i am. thanks! this is my first project so advice is very, very welcome.

Senior Member Pinche Chingadera's Avatar
    Howdy fellow CM400T'er. I've got an 80 also. Here's a current pic of it now.
    Once your dead, life just ain\'t worth living.

pinche, hey, nice to know theres at least one more out there!

questions:
    1. where'd you get that seat set up? or did you fab?
    2. what filters did you use on carbs/crankcase breather to replace stock?
    3. where are your footpegs?
    4. can i get a closeup on your battery/electrics solution?
    5. looks great! nice bike, good to know i may someday get there...

i did start reassembly yesterday. i have clipons and a new headlight (ural speedo-in-bucket knockoff). thinking of mounting the clipons above the triple tree to avoid resizing my forktube headlight mounts. ive been tossing around the idea of a frame chop, but im still pretty uneasy about it. ideally, id like to move the seat mount tubing up as to get rid of that sloping down line...what youve done is nice as well, though.

It's just my daily rider so it's got alot of things that need to done but I've got my project in the garage that I'm gonna be turning my sights to soon. Now to your questions.
    1. The seat is a Ducati 750SS style seat I got from some dirtbag on eBay...Cosmo something. The support I fabbed up in like an hour with some 1/8 aluminium panels I got from my neighboor.

I then used about a dozen washers and used the stock mount that are underneath stock seat.
    2. After I tore out my airbox, I just used an autozone K&N style breather filter. I just happen to have one in my garage from an old car of mine that's long gone. The stacks were for a CB360 that I found on eBay from a guy in Sweden. I think they were Soto's or something. They were brand new but old stock he had leftover. I think I got them for like 30 bucks shipped.
    3. Footpegs... the rear footpegs and mounts are gone, I've got some rearsets I'm gonna put on eventually and make new mounts. So right now I'm just using the front footpegs till I can get some time to get into the garage and make the mounts and weld them on.
    4. I don't have any closeup of the battery section. I just mounted the battery where the airbox used to be and made some brackets out of a stainless ruler. It ain't pretty but it works. As for the electronics, I just hardwired everything were the fusebox used to be. lol. The wiring needs some cleaning up but suprisingly everything works and I haven't had any electric problems without running any fuses. It needs a new battery soon so a sealed unit is getting purchased and then mounted under the seat and out of view completely.
    5. I think the bike is pretty rough but I get alot of compliments on it. Alot of people ask what it is and think it's older then it really is as in the style...not that it's an grungy haggered out looking bike. lol. It's fun to ride and saves me cash and keeps me busy in the garage. I still have the get the seat mounted so it sits even with the tank. Then do some body work on the tank and repaint them a darker shade of green. In the next few months, it's actually gonna get pulled apart fairly soon anyways so the engine and seat are getting used in my other bike. I'm not a fan of the CM400's frame with it's swoopy lines and whatsoever. The bike was cheap, ran and had a title so that's all I cared about. I'm still debated on even taking it apart and just picking up another engine and selling the bike. It's still all if's, and's, but's, and maybe's.

So, this is the bike over the last few days and now in its current state:

i also included a drawing i did of what i would like to do for the seat/electrics/battery situation. it also involves a possible frame mod to get rid of the "swooping lines."

im thinking of moving the clipons below the triple tree instead of above, and cutting the headlight mounts to make that happen. and in the pic im using the passenger footpeg mounts as my "rearset." thinking of making something else behind em for a passenger (my lovely wife ). the cm400 is definitely less than ideal in terms of frame.

sadly, today i had hoped to get it started, but i apparently still have an electrical problem: ignition switch is broken. so i need a new ignition switch i guess. im starting to wonder if im in over my head . i guess we'll see.

In my personal opinion even as an owner of one. It's an ugly frame. That's why my engine is going into my XS400 rolling frame. I'm just a fan of a full tube frame over the CM's ummm globulous swoopy frame. lol. Hell for my ignition switch, I just ripped it out and put a toggle switch in instead. So if you ever want a CM400T that you wouldn't have to hotwire. Just find my bike. Hahahaha. For security measures, I just drilled a single hole in my rotor and have a disc lock for it.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links