OCR 2009 Honda CB350 Race Bike(ton of pics) - Page 2
Close

OCR 2009 Honda CB350 Race Bike(ton of pics)

This is a discussion on OCR 2009 Honda CB350 Race Bike(ton of pics) within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Thought i'd post a few pics of some bracing I started doing on the swingarm. First thing to do was remove the stock brake stay ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thought i'd post a few pics of some bracing I started doing on the swingarm.

First thing to do was remove the stock brake stay mount, as this was gonna be in the way of the new brace that is gonna be welded in. I'll relocate this mount once I have the brace finished. I used some 1/2" solid round rod from Lowes....max dia for bracing is 5/8"....but that just seemed way to big(and very heavy) for the CB350 swingarm. Please note...the swingarm is upside down in these pics.....brace will be on the bottom of the swingarm.

With the brake stay removed....I then figured out where to bend and cut the brace to weld into the rear swingarm plates.

...and this is where we got to this evening before calling it a night

Still left to do is weld in some bracing to tie the front of the swingarm(where the bronze bushing are) into the front of the brace. Then I will add some mid-span struts in between the brace and the swingarm to tie it all together as a unit.

...more to come

Made some more progress on the swingarm tonight. Everything is tacked in place and ready to be all welded up.

Here are a couple pics regarding the chain clearance issue...someone on another forum asked. Should be no problem.

....and the bracing to tie the front of the swingarm into the brace

....all ready for finishing and welding

....installed on the bike

...more later

very nice!
    -

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Looks great so far, some input (forgive me if this is all obvious):
    In the interest of simplicity you could get longer bolts and put those spools right on the lower shock mount, ala JoeC's bike:

weld-wise I have a few ideas. One is that from the look of the welds you might want to turn up the amperage a smidge or three for good penetration. Also remove the swingarm bushings before welding and then ream them back to round. They will ovalize and with good penetration you should get a least a little sugar inside. (don't forget breather holes!) McMaster does sell the right size reamer for the bushings press fit, it took me a while to find it but it's in there (though pricey). Other than that pondering a nice symmetrical weld sequence will do you right.

That's all I've got. Let us know how it goes and good luck!

Looks good so far. Why solid rod and not tubing? Just because they had it? Have you fit tested the wheel again? The welds inside the swingarm that you did to add beef at the ends of the stamped gusset might pull the ends of the swingarm in a bit. Love the front fender work. I need to get a welder for aluminum.

Yeah....I like the way JoeC did the spools on his bike and I had planned on doing the same. That was until I put on my 2 into 1 exhaust...the can is right next to the right side lower bolt.

JoeC....definately has a nice bike!!

quote:Originally posted by buckandaquarter

Looks good so far. Why solid rod and not tubing? Just because they had it? Have you fit tested the wheel again? The welds inside the swingarm that you did to add beef at the ends of the stamped gusset might pull the ends of the swingarm in a bit. Love the front fender work. I need to get a welder for aluminum.
    Yeah....swingarm fits with no problems...key is to never allow the metal to get so hot that it starts to warp(learned that thru welding aluminum).

Thanks for the ups on the front fender. First time I have made one of those...and it was really easier than I thought it was gonna be.

Most of the welding I have been doing lately is on stainless, and there is pretty much no way to keep it from warping while actually getting good penetration, so you have to brace it in place while it cools, which introduces stresses to the welds. If you don't have the heat high enough, though, you don't get good penetration, which means no real strength to the weld, which means no real reason to weld it in the first place, so it is a delicate balance. I do like how it is coming so far. Any tips for making a fender? I want to make a rear hugger (I know I'll have to brace it unless I use thick material for the sides.) What kind of welder do you have? Obviously some kind of MIG, but is it lined so it can feed from the body of the welder, or do you have a spoolmatic handheld feed so the wire doesn't have far to go?

Thought i'd post a few pics of some updates to the bike. Hopefully will have it running soon...then will tear it down and paint it.

Alloy rear number plate support

Alloy front number plate support

Number plates on

Holy sprocket cover

Couple pics outside.....sun was out...had to take advantage of it!!!

....more soon

Senior Member Pinche Chingadera's Avatar
    Looks really good! What kind of throttle is that? I like the exhaust now better how it was before.
    Once your dead, life just ain\'t worth living.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links