First Cafe Build BSA T-Bolt
Close

This is a discussion on First Cafe Build BSA T-Bolt within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So I'm getting close to finishing my first cafe racer type bike. I bought a nearly completed project that a guy had started to restore, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I'm getting close to finishing my first cafe racer type bike. I bought a nearly completed project that a guy had started to restore, then died. Got it from his wife for swell deal with all the pieces needed to complete the build. It's a '71 BSA Thunderbolt, but the guy had a Bonneville tank on it, and I initially was going for a resto-mod, but the more and more I looked at it, it screamed to me, "Make me a cafe bike!" So that is the direction I'm taking the build. Had to do a butt ton of cleaning, but it seemed like most of the tough work on the "building" side was complete. Still had to swap the bars out for some drags (still may go with clubmans), new pipes, removed the sissy bar looking thing, rebuilt the carb, still need to construct a hump stop for the seat, and the electric is a big ??????. Installed an electronic ignition, and am just about to set the timing and give her a go. Only part i need is a zener diode. Not sure where that got too. Anyhow, she was a little buggered up when i got her, but i just about have her all sorted out. Some pics of where I am at with her currently:
    [/img]
    [img]

Your input please. Still have no idea what I'm going to do about paint.

leo
    Love it when the Brit stuff turns up here. Nice project. Good luck with the build.

Cheers,
    Leo

First - nice ride
    Second - For a paint scheme, I'd look into a multi color paint scheme that includes white pearl, blue and red colors. Looking at picture #4, I see a oval outline on the side of the tank, I'd paint that the white pearl, with the remaining part of the tank painted in blue and to finish it off - I'd use a red pin strip around the white to separate it from the blue part of the tank. If you could find a BSA decal - that would look nice inside the white section of the tank - may be in red lettering.

I wish I could have pulled a copy of the picture and color smith it but I don't have the software on my computer to do it.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the input fellas. Any others?

Skip the Zener Diode and get a Tympanium

Thanks for the tip on the Tympanium Nardi. Haven't seen one of those before, but i like the idea. Sounds like a plan buddy. I love the old Brit iron, but if you go through the mess of putting them back on the road, I can't see not putting quality electronics in them.
    So last night I lopped about an inch and a quarter off of the forward signal light stems. An immediate difference. You can now see the droopy drag bars from the front. Better yet, she has a pulse. Hooked the battery into the mess, to se what state the original wiring harness was in. Everything works. Mostly. The only time the high beam indicator comes on is when you hit the pass light switch. It stays off when you turn the high beam switch on. No worries. Working on a hump stop seat, and will post up more pics of the project when I get that taken care of. Try to finish the carb tonight, so i'll only be waiting on the Tympanium to arrive and see if the beast lives.

So the carburetor was no biggie to clean up and rebuild. I wish everything on the bike was that easy. Started to work on a seat, and while it's still "in the works" I had to snap a pic to see what was happening to the profile of the bike. Still debating on weather to stop the tail at the frame, or extend it a little further so as to blend into the fender line better. Any suggestions?
    This was when I lopped off the turn signal stems:

The mock up of the seat:

Sorry about the shitty cell phone pics.

Very nice start on the project. Can't go wrong with a 'bolt. It's got good bones.

To answer your question about your cafe seat, it looks very good. I'd make the cowl just an inch or so lower on top, and extend it rearwards about 1.5 inches.

I'd also say you would be just fine if you left the stock seat on it. It's about as good as they come.

Nice!
    BigBS

2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
    2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
    2008 Suzuki Hayabusa

Just a quick update. The seat is coming along pretty well. Foam core fiberglass shell. Hope to have pics up when it's ready for paint. The stock throttle, choke, and clutch cable are functional, but not safe, so they need to be replaced. They are also much to long to be routed properly now that I switched from stock to drag bars. Any recommendations on length/manufacturer for getting these. I know there are several outlets to get them from, but rather get some input from folks who have used said product. Only two petcocks, and a zener between me and this thing cranking. Also forgot to mention earlier. I used an old trick, that shocked me with the results. Aluminum foil and water- got the surface rust, and other nastiness off the chrome. Most of it looks brand new now, except for the spot on the rear fender where an old battery leaked and ate the chrome off. Anyhow, that's the update. Input always welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links