New CL350 Cafe - First Time Build Buget Build
Close

This is a discussion on New CL350 Cafe - First Time Build Buget Build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; This is my first motorcycle build unless you count the minibike I made from conduit, a briggs and straton 5 horse and bicycle wheels. Any ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is my first motorcycle build unless you count the minibike I made from conduit, a briggs and straton 5 horse and bicycle wheels. Any ways its a mix of CB / CL 350 parts. This is what it looked like when I got it home $50 bucks poorer, and after some cleaning.

This is one of my favorite CB350 Cafes, a bit of inspiration, and made by a bunch of high school kids.

Following some advice from Tex, I got in touch with Buff Harsh and bought an engine, since all I had was a bottom end. After a week of Liquid Wrench I finally got the pistons loose and tore it down. Now I'm looking for some carbs for cheap (I'm hoping maybe even free or swap).

Idiots Guild!

Since I'm waiting on some cheap carbs to show up I decided to try to made a tail section. I wanted to keep all the stock mounting points so working with my dad we narrowed the original seat pan, hand formed the tail and tacked new sides and the tail onto the narrowed pan. Its a bit longer than I would like, but for a first try I'll take it. Here are a few pics of the rough welded tail.

I know clubmans are gay, but this is a budget build and clip ons were going to cost more, so I ordered clubmans and they should get here in a couple of days. I'm also planning on fabricating some rear pegs this week.

it's only gay to worry about someone else's clubmans.
    -parks
    ps. nice start.
    I\'m not handsome

Clubmans are gay??? Never heard that before. Anyway, looks like you have a nice donor there, especially for $50! How much was the engine? I agree with you about the seat. The tail is a bit long. I like them to end in line with the center of the rear hub. I see you have discovered the Nisky Garage. I found them a couple of years ago when I dreamed of building a cafe bike. Those kids (and their teacher, "D") build some beautiful bikes. Have you seen the TZ project? Awesome!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I got the engine for $140 from a guy Tex got me in contact with. Total I have about $230 in the bike, including the clubmans and the metal I built the seat with. I haven't seen the tz, but I'll look it up. Any ways I really wanted clips ons, but couldn't justify the added cost right now.

Coming together nicely!
    BigBS

2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
    2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
    2008 Suzuki Hayabusa

Thanks, I'll update with pics of how I made the seat soon. Also I have been making a seat cover by hand all week. I've got to choose a color soon for the tank and tail, any suggestions?

"I've got to choose a color soon for the tank and tail, any suggestions?"

I think Honda racing colors are white and . . . white. maybe a bit of silver.

As I promised here is an update and photos:

These are the new clubmans just slapped on the bike

Just a couple of side picks

TRYING TO UPHOLSTER FOR THE FIRST TIME
    Since this is really low budget bike I'm trying to make and do everything myself. This was my attempt to upholster. I made templates out of paper bought some vinyl and went to work.

I taped everything together as I went to make sure it was taking the right shape.

I also used tape as a guide for my stitches. I don't have a sewing machine so everything was hand stitched.

I just clamped the cover onto the seat to check fit, I'm pretty happy with the way its coming out.

Just a side view with the cover clamped on the back.

Almost done, just have to figure out the front and buy some snaps or come up with another way to attach it.

Anyways as for a color I think I'm going to do a bright red and flat black combo.

quote:Anyways as for a color I think I'm going to do a bright red and flat black combo.
    Duck!!

(don't do the flatblack, please.)

I was expecting that, but most of its going to be red. I just want some contrast. Plus I'm just slapping some rattle can paint on it for now to keep it from rusting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links