Attention – Security Issue
Close

Attention – Security Issue

This is a discussion on Attention – Security Issue within the Site Help and Support forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey Team, Over the 2 weeks we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Attention – Security Issue

Exclamation Attention – Security Issue

Hey Team,

Over the 2 weeks we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a onetime reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 180 day basis. When you login on the 181st day, you will have to change it. You guys and girls all have the highest level of access in our communities and this will help protect your accounts.

All other users on the community will have 365 day expirations. We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

We are testing and rolling out the changes slowly to ensure that they do not cause unforeseen issues with current plug-ins and products on the site, we will let you all know the day before it goes live.

I also ask that you help us with ensuring all users are being heard and we are answering everyone’s questions. We will be posting an announcement up to the community shortly and want to keep all chatter about this issue and any potential security issues in one place. If you see a user talking about this topic in a section outside of the announcement, please either move the post, or remove it and direct the user to the original thread. We greatly appreciate your help in this. If you have any questions please post them below.

Thanks all,

Helena Barclay

Community Management

Having to change your password every 3 months is going to lose you a lot of members IMO. Well, after the first 3 months anyway.

Seriously, is this such an important issue to warrant this? It's just an internet motorcycle forum??
    thechief86 likes this.

I hate having to change passwords.
    I begrudgingly do it at work because they pay me.
    What exactly are these risks? And to whom?
    Was this message meant to be sent out to all? Doesn't read that way. Is a pleb like me only required to change it once a year?
    Pretty sure I don't have the "highest level of access" or am able to move posts around or "answer everyone's questions "
    What possible information would I have on this site to warrant this fear?
    More to the point,
    What are you doing behind the scenes to feel so paranoid about?
    Like Hillsy said, it's just a motorcycle forum......
    ....... Or is it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

+1...please don't make this place so hard to register for that you have to hack your way in when you are already a member. I have a hard enough time thinking up passwords that I can remember, only to be told that it needs more capitols, or numbers, or some other bullshit...when this happens I often just give up. This is afterall, NOT online banking.

If on every site I'm registered Ihave to change the password every three months I'm in a big trouble... I'm running out of passwords options... And it's quite a problem to maintain my Excel's password spreadsheet...!

Maybe the "Rush - ???????" thread is why they are wanting to change stuff....

https://www.caferacer.net/forum/general/26233-rush.html

How is my password connected to whatever that is?

IF you use the same password for more sites, emails or anything and someone gains access to your information through this site, which is what they seem to be saying that the security of this site is vulnerable, then all your other accounts are vulnerable too. Imagine if someone got hold of your email and Paypal password.

That's why only a dumbass would use the same password for both important stuff and inconsequential things like forums. My password for this site is the same as all my other forums and YouTube account, and whatever other b.s. site I join, for the sole purpose that if someone hacks it, who gives a shit?
    Then again, it was the password for my Facebook account 6 or 7 years ago, and now it's been hacked by a robot that tries to sell penis enlargement pills to my mom.
    I haven't tried to get back on Facebook since, fuggit, lol
    conghos likes this.
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

The trouble is there are plenty of dumbasses out there and if, by doing this the owners of this forum stop someone getting screwed over is changing a password really that much bother?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links