motogadget m-unit into CB250N wiring loom HELP!! - Page 2
Close

motogadget m-unit into CB250N wiring loom HELP!!

This is a discussion on motogadget m-unit into CB250N wiring loom HELP!! within the Technical FAQ's forums, part of the Caferacer FAQ's category; Originally Posted by Geeto67 so M-unit good, m-button bad? honestly I am actually blown away with how impressive this tech is, at least how the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: motogadget m-unit into CB250N wiring loom HELP!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    so M-unit good, m-button bad?

honestly I am actually blown away with how impressive this tech is, at least how the m-unit is described.

I think the only problem I have is the expense. I can see this being easy to justify for a high end custom motorcycle from a lot of different standpoints, but for something like a $1500 cb750 honda the $350 cost provides a lot more value in the average ownership/use lifespan of a vintage bike. The one thing I like about old stuff is it is home reparable so despite being 40-50 years old I can still solder my starter switch to fix it, I can still rewire something with new wire, I can change a fuse box. If the M-unit fails 10 years from now what's my recourse? still will it be in better condition 40 years from now than my old fuse box?
    All very valid comments.
    A crusty connected is easy and cheap to replace but a £150 electronic module not so.
    I suppose it all depends on what you call expensive. It's all relative.
    I don't think it's expensive for the level of sophistication but I certainly wouldn't want to replace it on a regular basis.
    Only time will tell how reliable they really are.... I'm thinking German made and solid state so good.
    However I bought a new mini (part of the bmw group) and that pos fell apart around me as I drove it...

Quote Originally Posted by miniman View Post
    All very valid comments.
    A crusty connected is easy and cheap to replace but a £150 electronic module not so.
    I suppose it all depends on what you call expensive. It's all relative.
    I don't think it's expensive for the level of sophistication but I certainly wouldn't want to replace it on a regular basis.
    For what it is and does there is no dispute it is a good value technology wise. It's when you start to get into the ownership costs vs use of an old motorcycle that it becomes harder to justify. When I was riding my 75 cb750 every day I would gladly have paid for this if it had existed in the 1999-2011 time period, but it didn't now that I don't ride all that much how much $1 per mile is it going to return for me.

Only time will tell how reliable they really are.... I'm thinking German made and solid state so good.
    However I bought a new mini (part of the bmw group) and that pos fell apart around me as I drove it...
    Well they had to replicate the English experience with the mini somehow. I mean, would you have trusted it if it was a British badge and didn't make you curse the darkness when the lights failed? (I'm just kididng here)
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

What's up Geeto, good to know you're still here sharing your wisdom.

Over all Motogadget produces the highest quality motorcycle components I've seen hands down. The two weak links in their offering is the m-Button which is problematic as stated above but is massively over hyped by people afraid to run 8 22AWG wires 3 feet and plug them into their corresponding terminals. The other is the m-Lock back up capacitor which simply doesn't work.

The philosophy in our shop is that systems should be as simple with as few variables as necessary so that it's as easy to diagnose as possible. The m-Button doesn't fit with in that perspective. If I were building a show bike that needed to run but would never be ridden and I wanted look so clean that it appears that there are no wires whatsoever, I would use an m-Button.

The tech is every bit as good as described. This is not the only solid state fuse block replacement on the market only the most advanced and well built currently available. If Motogadget should go by the wayside someone will pick up the slack because the demand is there. 40 years from now you'll be struggling to find a supplier for archaic glass tube fuses for your now 70+ year old fuse box. I do see your point and I don't disagree with it but see ing the market from the back side I believe that solutions will only become more readily available rather than less. My concern would be is the subject bike likely to become rare or valuable as an unrestored specimen 40 years down the road not that I think that's a real concern for most 70-80's CB's

And let me know where you can still get a $1500 CB750 in good order. Haven't seen one under $2500 in years in these parts. And I have to agree with you, 5+ years ago while the tech made sense the cost of an install outstripped the market value of 70's Japanese bikes but that market has changed dramatically in the last half decade depending on where you live. In Austin a shitty CB350 with clip ons and solo seat can get $3k. We're already well into the stage where CX500's are highly desirable when you couldn't give them away 15 years ago.
    Geeto67 likes this.
    ...connoisseur of slack...

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Segmant View Post
    I really want to use the m-unit but im scared off by the old diagram of the electrics i have, i don't know where to start!
    I would start by making a list of all the components the m-unit will replace.
    I see 3 fuses and 1 turn signal relay :| did I miss anything?
    elevendy7 likes this.

What do you mean by "built in starter relay, but not solenoid"? Is it a high amp relay that replaces the solenoid....or would I still have to use a solenoid?

And yes, it's nice tech but what if the turn signal unit / something else fubars? - do I need to shell out another $350 for a new M unit?

I kind of like the idea of having separate components - I mean, I can get a LED flasher relay from China for about $1.....

To me I just don't see the harnesses as a weak point on most vintage bikes.
    youmare also talking to a guy that sees little point in an electronic ignition for a CB750 street bike.

my fear is replacing simple wires and systems with a "black box"
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    To me I just don't see the harnesses as a weak point on most vintage bikes.
    youmare also talking to a guy that sees little point in an electronic ignition for a CB750 street bike.

my fear is replacing simple wires and systems with a "black box"
    Do you still have a phone with actual buttons by any chance haha.

In all seriousness these aren't for everyone.
    A well maintained standard loom does the same job as on of these without the witchcraft.
    Imo these come into their own when you have a bike were the p.o. fucked about with the wiring and there are gremlins everywhere. I hate unfucking other people's wiring Bodges.
    jaguar likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hillsy View Post
    What do you mean by "built in starter relay, but not solenoid"? Is it a high amp relay that replaces the solenoid....or would I still have to use a solenoid?

And yes, it's nice tech but what if the turn signal unit / something else fubars? - do I need to shell out another $350 for a new M unit?

I kind of like the idea of having separate components - I mean, I can get a LED flasher relay from China for about $1.....
    Some or most Motorcycles have a starter relay that redirects the high amperage so it's not flowing through your starter button before reaching the starter solenoid, in technical terms a solenoid is a relay, the m-Unit does not replace the starter solenoid.

What makes it nice tech is not just the features but the durability. Again, in 6 years and thousands of units sold I've seen maybe 4 broken m-Units 2 of which were destroyed by massive over charges that would have destroyed the entire electrical system otherwise but yes if the sky falls and the turn signal relay breaks and it's out of warranty you need to spend another $350.

With a $1 Chinese relay you get what you pay for. You simply can't get a relay with these features for $1 or $20 anywhere. If you're interested in having a comprehensive understanding here's M-Unit Blue Manual and like miniman said, this is not for everyone. If you like tracking brittle wires and cleaning corroded contacts on the side of the road at night is your idea of a good time because that's what you know then cool, the m-Unit's not for you. If you require consistency and reliability, like you and you're already thinking about rewiring the bike you might want to look into an m-Unit.
    Last edited by snorkelfork; 07-14-2017 at 02:26 PM.
    ...connoisseur of slack...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links