Make it kicker only?
Close

Make it kicker only?

This is a discussion on Make it kicker only? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; How do I go about making my CB500 a kicker only? I'm pretty much clueless on what it would take to get it as such. ...

Make it kicker only?

How do I go about making my CB500 a kicker only? I'm pretty much clueless on what it would take to get it as such. I just want to shed the weight and think kickers are cool.

I was right in the middle of a fucking reptile zoo, and somebody was giving booze to these goddam things.

take off the starter and plug the hole in the case. Remove all the chain/gears involved in cranking the motor, pull wiring out of the harness.

Should be about it...
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

Will I need a gel pack or capaciter to avoid blowing the lights and such?
    I was right in the middle of a fucking reptile zoo, and somebody was giving booze to these goddam things.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

if all you are doing is removing the starter you should be fine with the remaining electrical setup.

are you planning on removing the battery also?

I had figured on removing the battery or getting something as tiny as possible. Trying to shed the weight and hollow the bike out. I'm not running turn indicators, just a headlight and taillight.

a honda guy will have to chip in here, i don't know what type of charging system your bike has. if its like mine you have to have a battery to even start the bike. kick or not.

Maybe the 4Ah one would work, 5Ah to be sure.
    http://www.lowcostbatteries.com/prod...aa%2012-5f.htm
    Trickle charge religiously with:
    http://www.shopwizardscycle.com/emgotricklecharger.aspx

Don't run it dead, then it won't charge correctly. Sealed lead acid batteries have a narrow charging window, unsuited for old charging systems. So expect to pop a cell once in a while due to overcharging.

NE
    Subscribe to SIX HOT ISSUES!! of WarmPipe for only $29.99!!! Interweb NOW!!!!!

i think the 500... think... it has a permanent magnet rotor, so it will generate voltage without a field exciter current. the honda regulators of that era were thermo-electric, and used a metal element that moved a conductor, so that when the voltage rose to a set number, the system cut out the voltage from the alternator. in theory, this should still work the same with a much smaller battery. headlights do draw large current though, so depending on the discharge capacity of the battery you want to use, you might want to wire in a headlight switch to turn it off when starting

Sponsored Links