cb360 carbs - Page 2
Close

cb360 carbs

This is a discussion on cb360 carbs within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; so people say trouble idling could be caused by a clogged jet. if that was the case would the jet be visibly clogged or are ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cb360 carbs

so people say trouble idling could be caused by a clogged jet. if that was the case would the jet be visibly clogged or are we talking some microscopic stuff here? cause mine looked fine... some of the gaskets definitely looked worn, i'm waiting on the rebuild kit to show up before i put the carbs back in.

missing that butterfly is a problem. if you cant buy a replacement, make one. shouldnt be too hard.

to check your jets youd need to pull them out of the carburetors, which im not convinced youve done.

what ken says about the screws being embedded in your pistons is possible, but its more likely that they made it out of the chamber (if they ever made it in) and arent doing any damage, unless you hear some funky rattling noises, that is. you can pull the plugs and look around with a flashlight with the piston in question at TDC.

i dont know enough about these specific carburetors to say more.

They are the butterflies for the choke (enrichment) circuit. As long as the butterflies on the other side of the carbs are there, the bike will run OK (it's not ideal, but it will run).

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

yeah, i pulled the jets and looked at 'em. looked fine, but what do i know (not much).

All the jets?

There are more than 1 per carb

Anyway - just pull carbs into atoms- (everything that comes off should come off) and clean them well. Simple green is good but will take a while to dissolve the harder gunk. Carb cleaner spray is very toxic and nasty stuff.

Just seeing through a jet is not necessarily enough - you can find really thin copper wire its ok for scrubbing. Don't use anything too hard.

do you have stock air filter and snorkels on when trying to ruin the bike?
    -

yeah i know there's more than one jet. i got the rebuild kits so i'm not gonna bother cleaning the old ones. yes to the stock filters.

If it were me (and it isn't), I would be concerned about the missing parts.
    Here are some possible scenarios:

The butterfly broke at the little spring loaded flap and a piece got sucked into the engine doing some damage before it got spit out the exhaust bending both the intake and exhaust valves on its way in and out.

The screws backed out allowing the choke plate to hang up and the PO just pulled out the pieces and either found all the parts or they gut sucked through the engine.

The PO just pulled the missing choke plate for fun and threw the parts away just to mess with you.

the fact is that you have a running issue and you haven't done anything to try and diagnose the problem. Why are you throwing rebuild kits at your carbs?

My questions are these?
    What is the compression and/or leakdown?
    How are the idle passages in the carbs?
    How are the points and timing?
    How is the valve adjustment?

Any of these issues can lead to idle/low speed running issues.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

i'm putting in rebuild kits because some of the gaskets are brittle and i figured since i've already taken the carbs off and rebuild kits aren't too expensive i might as well.
    i've got a friend of a friend who does motorcycle repair that i can probably hit up for help but removing and cleaning carbs is one of the few things i know how to do so i figured i'd try and do what i can before i bug him.
    i'm not sure what the idle passages are... nothing looked clogged in the carbs but i cleaned them anyway.
    compression... does putting your thumb over the sparkplug holes count as checking? i haven't even done this but i don't have any equipment for measuring compression.
    points/timing/valve adjustment i do not know how to do.
    i think maybe i didn't mention it but it's idling poorly because it's only idling on the left cylinder. i switched the spark plugs and it still idled only on the left cylinder. not sure if this rules out or points to any of the causes you listed.

i am concerned about the missing parts i'm just not sure what to do about it other than looking in the spark plug hole like spif300 mentioned.

anyway thanks everybody for the help.

I don't want to be mean, but if you don't know what and where the idle passages are, then you don;t know ho to clean carbs either. The idle passages are in the carb bodies under the idle jets. They are very small and easily clogged, They are probably the cause of most idling problems, if the carbs have been sitting with old fuel in them.
    Figuring out how to check and adjust your valves and timing isn't hard and needs to be done. Then get a compression guage and check the compression.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

It's gonna be hard to keep an old motorcycle running if you don't know how to gap points/set timing, adjust valves. Both are easy to do.

I'm not so sure the missing choke parts went thru the motor. I think it's just as likely an idiotic PO fucked around with the carbs & just neglected to replace the stuff. Those screws are kinda mushroomed on the backside after they're installed as a means to keep them from backing out and doing just what's been described, and it can be hard to thread them back in once you've removed them. But how would one know for sure?

I'd set the timing, valves, and do a thorough carb rebuild (since they're already off the bike anyway) and see if you can get the thing running properly. And make sure you have a good battery holding a charge. CB360 will drop a cylinder if the battery doesn't have a good charge.

Step 1: Buy a manual for your specific bike. All these processes (including carburetor rebuild) are explained in the manual.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links