Moose Wheel Rims
Close

Moose Wheel Rims

This is a discussion on Moose Wheel Rims within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Has anyone ever used Moose rims to replace the 18 inchers on a CB350 and the like? I was wondering about fitment as I can ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Moose Wheel Rims

Has anyone ever used Moose rims to replace the 18 inchers on a CB350 and the like? I was wondering about fitment as I can get these rims cheap. If anyone knows what fits what I'd be most appreciative. Plus, if we can fiure out what fits what, I'll pass along the savings to all the caferacer.net crew.
    \"I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.\"http://www.hogsbreathcycles.com/

There's a GT250 build on the Sundial board using Moose rims. All I know...

quote:Originally posted by Ratty-550

There's a GT250 build on the Sundial board using Moose rims. All I know...
    Linkity link link:

http://www.motorcycleracer.net/phpBB...pic.php?t=1252

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I brushed thru the first page only.

I gotta say, it truly appears those rims are drilled for much LARGER spoke nipples than fitted. Hard for me to determine the angle at which they are drilled... but that doesn't look copasetic either.

The tiny nipples in those much larger holes would not be a wise thing to do for an actual paying customer.
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

I brushed thru the first page only.

I gotta say, it truly appears those rims are drilled for much LARGER spoke nipples than fitted. Hard for me to determine the angle at which they are drilled... but that doesn't look copasetic either.

The tiny nipples in those much larger holes would not be a wise thing to do for an actual paying customer.
    Hack,

I never noticed in the pictures Tom posted of his GT250 project that the spoke holes in the rims DO look too large for the nipples. I know Excel rims require you use their oversized nipples for lacing. The Moose rims on Dennis Kirk (where Tom sourced his rims) say "Rim is extruded from true 7075 aircraft aluminum; designed for use with OEM hubs, spokes and nipples". Now what rims he bought and if that OEM uses oversized nipples is worth checking. I'll PM Tom on Sundial and ask him about it. He's put a lot of work into that GT250. It would be a shame for the wheels to come apart on the road!

Chet,

How cheap can you get Moose rims? I could use a silver 18 x 2.15 36 spoke if the price is right....

Jim

I can get any silver or black rear for $76.00 plus shipping. The fronts I can get for $63.00 plus shipping. My only problem is, Moose lists them by application, not spoke count. If I can figure out what rim will work for what bike, I can go from there. I've contacted my PU rep to see if we can't get a little more info on the rims from Moose.
    \"I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.\"http://www.hogsbreathcycles.com/

Chet,

If you can find out the model number you can always look up the wheel on ebay to get an idea of the hub size and the spoke count. That's what I usually do anyway. To Hack's observation, Tom replied:

quote:The holes in the rims are indeed larger than stock GT and the shanks of the stock nipples are smaller than intended for those rims. However, I mulled it over and the holes are reinforced and the heads of the nipples seemed to have good overlap by themselves. I made some nipple washers that are larger than the head of the nipple and fit the curvature of the backside nipple recess. Since the backside of the nipple holes are concave...the nipples are kinda self-centering. I won't be jumping any tabletops for sure....
    Personally, this would make me nervous and I hope Tom doesn't have any issues with this set-up. So you may want to find out what the Moose spoke sets go for or carefully cross-reference the vintage spoke & nipple size with the Moose application to find a match. I know Moose offers stainless spoke sets and if you can find an application with a similar hub size, maybe you could use these?

Jim

Good idea Jim. I'll see if Moose can hook me up with some information on the spoke sets. I'll keep you all posted. If these work, it seems like a great deal.

That dog wouldnt hunt on my ride.
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

the clearance looks to be near 2 mil. desirable is a quarter to a half millimeter. maybe the gap will fill up with road grime and no one will notice.
    -parks
    I\'m not handsome

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links