Front end question
Close

Front end question

This is a discussion on Front end question within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Any know if a newer R6 front end will work with a 78 XS500 Frame. Ant info will help...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Front end question

Any know if a newer R6 front end will work with a 78 XS500 Frame. Ant info will help

Sure it'll work. You just need some beer and some customization and viola! You're golden.

don't forget a welder, bridgeport, and some magic pixie dust.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Find out the stem bearing sizes of each bike and report back.

You can put the front end of a F-14 tomcat on a XS500 if you want. But why?

What are you trying to accomplish? If you succeed in grafting an R6 front end on your XS500, you'll have an awkward-looking bike that has unknown handling characteristics (stiffer forks, and much more braking power, both transferring much more torque to the steering head than it was designed for). If you want to tackle a big modification like this, you need to have a well-thought-out purpose for it.

I bolted an FZR1000 front end on my FZ600 just by mixing and matching bearings that I had around. It isn't magic or Voodoo. Just give it a try and see. I haven't looked but I'll bet the XS500 uses the same bearings as the FZ. Don't make it a bigger or more complicated job than it really is.
    I also didn't need a Bridgeport, welder or pixie dust, not that I want to point out that Geeto is overgeneralizing, again, in a negative, can't be done sort of way.
    Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Prof. Ken, there's a world of difference between your FZ upgrade and what Gncafe is talking about. XS500s have a soft steel tube frame (pretty much 1930's technology). Putting R6 forks on it would make about as much sense as monoshocking a CB500.

Steve,
    I disagree, depending on which R-6 forks and the intended use. There will always be a weak link in any system and the latest R-6 upside down forks(and more importantly brakes), may move that point to a different structural component and cause issues. Or it may not, I don't know, do you? If the bike is ridden on the street in the same fashion as it is now, a properly set up R-6 front end will give a better, more compliant ride. Cosmetically it may also be an improvement. I suspect that the worst case scenario is going to be frame flex at the steering head under extreme braking. I don' believe that there is such a thing as too much front brake, because I control it with my right hand.
    I guess I don't know what your opposition to the change is other than the characteristics of the steel used in the frame.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar

FR
    The weight of the R6 front end will certainly be a factor, I'm guessing at least 20 lbs heavier than the stock front end, not including the wheel/brakes. I'd suggest going with a newer FZR fork, 36mm, good feel and much cheaper/easier update.
    That is, if Gncafe is indeed still paying attention...
    FR

http://sidewaysnortheast.blogspot.com/

Depending on which year XS it is, I am not sure about the weight difference. Those first Yamaha cast wheels weighed a ton and the fork tubes were fairly thick wall and heavy. The first generation FZR600 had 38mm tubes and the FZ600 has 36mm tubes, I have an FZ600 front end on my Seca550 racer and it works fairly well and I haven't noticed any front end induced handling or braking issues on it, although I would like a little more brake. I did use a lathe and welder to fit that up as I sectioned and shortened the steering stem to get the bearing spacing correct. I could have just used a spacer under the bottom bearing race, too. Like I did on the FZR1000 stem for the FZ.
    Again, you are speculating that there is extra weight and that it would be a factor. In what way would a 20 lb heavier front end assembly have a negative impact on an XS500, about which we know nothing?

That is if Gncafe is paying attention.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    Evan Esar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links