Powering an LT-3
Close

Powering an LT-3

This is a discussion on Powering an LT-3 within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I recently got a 1973 Yamaha LT-3 replaced piston and cylinder runs alright now other than some carb issues need to get sorted out. Making ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Powering an LT-3

I recently got a 1973 Yamaha LT-3 replaced piston and cylinder runs alright now other than some carb issues need to get sorted out. Making it into a little cafe racer and it's starting to look good it has absolutely nothing in terms of electrical besides the coils and the 4 or so wires coming out of the engine. What is the CHEAPEST and best way to go about powering the lights and taillights which I also don't have. I have contemplated going LED 6v and just have it run off a battery I have to charge everytime, any simple way to go 12v as thing are easier and cheaper to find? am I basically missing the regulator? and rectifier? and a battery to have it the way it was is that right? does anyone know it's wiring?

Thanks,
    Zyan
    DIYODS

Maybe you should include a wiring diagram and note what is missing
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

1973 Yamaha LT-3
    I found out a lot of information. here is a wiring diagram http://www.slimduck.com/lt2-wiring.gif now I need to know what each wire is for. I have the four wires coming out from under the clutch plate that you see in the middle (Black, green, yellow, green/red) Thats all i have as far as electronics those 4 wires and an ignition coil. Black goes to the coils so I know that one but the rest just lead into the ignition switch which i don't have and instead have passed the black wire only through a cheap key switch. The bike is 6V which seems to be a pain and expensive to find parts for so i'm thinking going LED and making it.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-...cle-Headlight/

anyone ever done this and used it on a motorcycle not some electric bike like this guy did? I'm going for cheap got any opinions?

also do this for the turn signals.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-...or-motorcycle/

also anyway to run this without a battery so it would just be on when the bike is running?

This is the bike i'm working on you can kinda see what i'm planning on doing to it.
    DIYODS

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Homey don't play dat chit.

Post the gif with your questions as the egg shell seat padding truly has me driven to the point of being unable to look at anything else.

Have you tried hooking the black wire to the eggsgell?

That is the first thing I try everytime.
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

I'm not sure what dat chit is but ok I tested hooking them all up to the gell pad and it worked! No but seriously, anyone have any experience completely making their own headlights, turn signals, and brake lights from LED's?
    DIYODS

well...let's start with the obvious: LEDs are not approved as a headlight, yet, and you need a bajillion of them to get the right beam pattern and coverage. so really, you are stuck with tail and turns.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

oh, and your upsidedown stock bars are douche-tastic!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Upside down stock bars what!? Those bars are straight from a Schwinn Pixie I had lying around.

I don't have money to do things the "Proper" way. Should have known it probably wasn't legal. I'm thinking 20 .5W Led's should give me 800 Lumen's as far as the pattern goes I think that would be the most challenging plus avoiding the Cops... but i guess i'll give it a shot.
    DIYODS

Well stop by and Homey will give you a set of drag bars

yah actually thats what I was wanting to go for but had this laying around and figured it was cheaper.
    DIYODS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links