Bad Floats?
Close

Bad Floats?

This is a discussion on Bad Floats? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I have a problem with my CB400 -- after taking the carb completely apart and cleaning it then putting it back on, she ran fine ...

Thread: Bad Floats?

Bad Floats?

I have a problem with my CB400 -- after taking the carb completely apart and cleaning it then putting it back on, she ran fine for about 2 weeks then one night, fuel started dumping out of the overflow tubes and she ran rough. I've been told that I have a bad float but wanted to see what you guys thought. What can I do to keep this from happening again... get a carb kit? HELP! The weather is finally nice out and I can't ride! =o(

Would you like WD40 with those fries?

Probably a piece of trash got in the needle and seat that is controlled by the float. Pull the overflowing carb off and clean it out again, paying particular attention to the needle valve that controls the fuel flow into the carb. Just as a point of info, you referred to a single carb in your original post. Be aware that you have 2 single carb that are linked together, not a single 2 barrel carb.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Ahhh yes, sorry about that... I did only reference one when there is two. I am thinking that if I get a carb kit (maybe) this will cure the problem. It's gotten too easy to pull off the carb and just clean it and then reinstall now that I have done it a few times. The frustration comes when you hope maybe it won't happen any more and it does. The puking fuel doesn't usually occur until a few days later after I've had some good runs or perhaps if the bike has just sat for a day or two.
    Would you like WD40 with those fries?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

What Ken said. Take out the float and shake it. If you hear sloshing, or if it is unbalanced, you have a leaky float. I have one out of my CB160 that has gas in one side of the float that is just THERE. No leaks, no pinholes, just the one side is heavier than the other and sloshes. Apart from taking out the solder plug and boiling it out I am stumped.

A carb kit will not help you with a bad float. You will need a new one.

When you clean the carb again, and take out the needle and seat like Ken said, be sure you turn the carb over too so that any crap you didn't see will fall out. I know this from personal experience. Put in inline filters.

you're getting good jack.
    -parks
    I\'m not handsome

Sponsored Links