Thoughts
Close

Thoughts

This is a discussion on Thoughts within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Lads, have a little mystery for you to solve. Riding along in my little gt185, then bang. no drive and the sound of my gear ...

Thread: Thoughts

Thoughts

Lads, have a little mystery for you to solve.

Riding along in my little gt185, then bang. no drive and the sound of my gear box disolving. I hop off, and it turns out the only thing that happened was my front sprocket is missing. Gone. It was only two months old, with a new locktab that was appropiatly fitted by me personally. My thinking is that if the sprocket drifted off center, the chain would gain further tension and bring it back to center. Am I wrong? What the hell woul have caused it to fly off? That tab was on solid, wrapped around the bolts perfectly. ???
    That's like, your opinion, man.

Misalignment issue somewhere, either wheel actually cocked and/or enough slop in swingarm bushings, cush drive, wheel bearings,etc that it side loads during use.

The rear wheel that's on my 550 right now(may be the same hub?) the sprocket side bearing in the actual hub, not the cush drive, is loose in the hub. i.e. the hub's wallered out. It's getting bad enough that the other night pulling into a parking spot I killed the engine and rolled, turning in I could hear the chain binding a bit. Time(past) to switch it out before it kills something up the line.

Just pulled the wheel off after trucking the thing home. Cush drive is fairly worn. Surely not just that would rip off the front sproket? Mind you, less has suprised me. Where the hell am i going to get rubbers for the cush? Arg. The internet searching begins...
    That's like, your opinion, man.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Chech the bushing to the axle clearance/slop on the cush drive/sprocket carrier
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

Chech the bushing to the axle clearance/slop on the cush drive/sprocket carrier
    What wrecked my hub was that there's a small spacer that goes in the cush drive that locates it laterally that was missing when I got the bike. The fingers(what's the right word?) on the cush drive were bottoming in the hub without it putting undue load on the left side hub bearing.

Make sure that spacer is present on your bike, it's a lot easier to install the rear wheel if it's left out. You'll see shiny marks on the hub where the cush drive's been bottoming if it's gone.

Sponsored Links