Tech: Clip on Shims
Close

This is a discussion on Tech: Clip on Shims within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; OK I know some of you would not recommend shimming your clip ons, but it does happens and sometimes it just "has to fit". Supplies ...

OK I know some of you would not recommend shimming your clip ons, but it does happens and sometimes it just "has to fit".

Supplies
    -2 Aluminum cans
    -masking tape
    -Razor blade (box cutter)
    -Small hacksaw (I got this one at Northern tool for $13)
    -Calipers (tape measure O.K.)
    -card board box

Step 1. Measure the height of your clip ones. Mine were 1 3/8". Make sure its less than the height of your can! Tape up the outside of the can to give it a little more strength while you cut it. You really just need to put a strip at each end.

Step 2. Cut the ends off of the can. This is not a precise science, but try to cut is smoothly close to the end. Hint: After 1 end is cut off the can gets very flimsy: turn the other end around (so you look at the inside of the cut off end) and stuff it back in the can.- Makes it much easier to cut.

Now you have an aluminum cylinder. Take the tape off and discard it with the can ends.

Step 3. Put the can on the card board box and cut it lengthwise (through the inside). This is where the small hacksaw comes in handy (or use just the blade from a regular hacksaw)

You'll end up with a rectangle that wants to curl up.

Step 4. Tape the rectangle down to the box (flat) with the label up (so it curls into the box and not away from it). Then tape out the size of your clip ons. I used the tape as a cutting aid, but you could draw a line too.

Step 5. Cut the strip along your line or tape guide with the razor. It may take a few passes and will take some pressure. You'll likely have to come back the the end you started on once you get "broken through" and cut the end again.

Now you have your shims!

Step 6. Wrap the shim around the fork tube. I taped the starting end in place to make sure it stayed while i wrapped. Wrap it tight (I taped here too) then do a test fit of the clip ons. I used a flathead to pry them outward slightly to make sure I did not bend up any of the corners of the shims. Note: I had 32mm clip ons and 31mm forks. A standard aluminum can wrapped around twice and filled the gap nicely, app 1mm. You may need more or less shims, but I wouldn't go more than 2 shims (cans) thick!

Step 7. Crank it down and see how it fits. I pushed/pulled mine really hard to make sure I dont have issues later on.

Disclaimer: This worked well for me and I will report back once I get it on the road. You should understand the risks of shimming a safety item and be ready to accept it!

Here's the finished product: 32mm Ebay clip ons on 31mm Cb 175 forks

should have used a budweiser can!!! more durable
    Johnnyracer

should have used a budweiser can!!! more durable
    Johnnyracer

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Aluminum pop (or Bud, Busch... even Guinness) cans are more easily cut with $2 scissors from craft store, thus greatly simplifying an otherwise super tutorial.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

Aluminum pop (or Bud, Busch... even Guinness) cans are more easily cut with $2 scissors from craft store, thus greatly simplifying an otherwise super tutorial.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

Nice! I did pretty much the same thing, but instead used tin snips and a Krylon rattle can for a thicker shim.

Nice! I did pretty much the same thing, but instead used tin snips and a Krylon rattle can for a thicker shim.

Junior Member glen@fsmotorcycle's Avatar
    Another source is a cheap ruler from a dollar store. they are usually stainless or aluminum
    www.fsmotorcycle.com

Junior Member glen@fsmotorcycle's Avatar
    Another source is a cheap ruler from a dollar store. they are usually stainless or aluminum
    www.fsmotorcycle.com

Sponsored Links