LXXXII FT 500 fork tubes
Close

LXXXII FT 500 fork tubes

This is a discussion on LXXXII FT 500 fork tubes within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Question on a 1982 FT 500. One of the fork tubes is leaking oil. I was thinking, since the front end will be getting worked ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LXXXII FT 500 fork tubes

Question on a 1982 FT 500. One of the fork tubes is leaking oil. I was thinking, since the front end will be getting worked on is there any front end upgrades I should be considering? I checked out the THUMPER page and read that VF500F and CBR600 front ends are direct bolt-ins. Is this correct? If so will it change my riding position? Am kind of happy with the way it rides now just wondering if there is anything I should be doing while I have the front end off. Tapered steering head bearings, how do they improve the bikes performance? I know a few members have FTs so any help is appreciated.

"Its amazing what can be done when you don't know you can't do it" Bill Anderson

If you are happy with the front end the way it is, I would just replace the fork seal and leave it the way it is. I have used VF500 front forks on one and have used VF750 Interceptor forks on another. The 500 forks fit in the FT triples and the VF required using the entire front end. I am using the stock front forks on mine right now with a CBR600 Hurricane front wheel with a Shadow disk on it. I also have a CBR rear wheel and CB700SC Nighthawk rear shocks. That changed the steering geometry enough that I put a GSXR steering damper on it. Do you need a set of stock wheels, I'll send them to you for the cost of shipping?

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

The wheels are in good shape, plus no room for an extra set. Thanks though! There is some slight pitting on the travel potion of the fork tubes. I wasn’t sure if this is the cause of the leak or not???. Because of this pitting I was thinking of just replacing the fork tubes all together. It would be nice to improve handling if it was just a matter of purchasing a better performing tube, and while the wallets open any recommendations on a better performing set of rear shocks.

P.S Tapered steering head bearings, do they improve the bikes performance?
    "Its amazing what can be done when you don't know you can't do it" Bill Anderson

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

While you have the forks apart... 800grit sandpaper and oil... use lightly to smooth out the pits on the forks. The new seals will last longer.

I like the rear shocks from the CB700SC Nighthawk S. They are a littlle longer than stock, they bolt right on. They have adjustable damping that is considerably heavier since the Nighthawk was heavier and shaft drive, so they had to control the rear end trying to jack up and down. I nevert have paid more than $50 off e-bay for a clean pair.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Thanks for your help gentlemen!

Took the FT to a local shop to have the fork seals replaced and also had the pitting cleaned. The guy is telling me the springs are shot. For 90 bucks he can replace them with after market progressive springs that he clams will stiffen the front end and produce better handling.... Is this true?? Also Is it worth to upgrade the existing stock setup, or upgrade the the tubes all together???

Note* Upgrading the stock tubes would be more convenient and cost effective for me.

Thanks!

Took the FT to a local shop to have the fork seals replaced and also had the pitting cleaned. The guy is telling me the springs are shot. For 90 bucks he can replace them with after market progressive springs that he clams will stiffen the front end and produce better handling.... Is this true?? Also Is it worth to upgrade the existing stock setup, or upgrade the the tubes all together???

Note* Upgrading the stock tubes would be more convenient and cost effective for me.

Thanks!

Ok, ok ... I have nothing to say ... I just looked at the thread subject and it said " 82' FT 500 fork tubes" and I thought it meant fork tubes that were 82 feet long ..and that sounded interesting...much more interesting than this thread actually is.

JohnnyB

Ok, ok ... I have nothing to say ... I just looked at the thread subject and it said " 82' FT 500 fork tubes" and I thought it meant fork tubes that were 82 feet long ..and that sounded interesting...much more interesting than this thread actually is.

JohnnyB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links