How many miles are too many?
Close

This is a discussion on How many miles are too many? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I'm looking to buy a '78 CB750 supersport with 35k miles on it. Gave it a ride this weekend, and other than shaky idle on ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I'm looking to buy a '78 CB750 supersport with 35k miles on it. Gave it a ride this weekend, and other than shaky idle on start up it looks and sounds decent. I'd appreciate any opinions on whether I can expect any big future mechanical jobs on this engine with 35k miles on it. Incidentally, owner is asking $2,300 for it. Thanks for any input.

Who knbows? It all depends on how well it was taken care of in the last 35k miles.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

Who knbows? It all depends on how well it was taken care of in the last 35k miles.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Yes, how well it was taken care of does matter. But 35k on an aircooled bike engine is 35k on an aircooled bike engine, no matter how well it was taken care of.

At that mileage, I would do one of two things: 1) get a compression test, and send a sample of oil to a testing lab; or 2) just figure it may be good for a few more years, but will soon be due for a rebuild, and buy it at a price that accounts for that.

There, that's my amateur advice, from a guy who has never owned a CB750. More experienced CB750 folk will be along soon to add some actual reliable information.

Yes, how well it was taken care of does matter. But 35k on an aircooled bike engine is 35k on an aircooled bike engine, no matter how well it was taken care of.

At that mileage, I would do one of two things: 1) get a compression test, and send a sample of oil to a testing lab; or 2) just figure it may be good for a few more years, but will soon be due for a rebuild, and buy it at a price that accounts for that.

There, that's my amateur advice, from a guy who has never owned a CB750. More experienced CB750 folk will be along soon to add some actual reliable information.

first off - too much money.

Second - 35K on a 77-78F is the tipping point. You will want to know if the bike had valve guides installed. The 77-78 SOHC big valve heads tend to wear out valve guides right around 30K. Less if it was beaten, a little more if it was taken care of. At 35K, and it is not smoking, you probably have 1 or 2 thousand miles before she starts smoking, and when she does it is an expensive repair if you don't do it yourself. Ask the owner if new valve guides were installed, if they were then great.

The rest of the engine is good for 75-100K if you take care of it and there is not something nasty hiding in there already.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

first off - too much money.

Second - 35K on a 77-78F is the tipping point. You will want to know if the bike had valve guides installed. The 77-78 SOHC big valve heads tend to wear out valve guides right around 30K. Less if it was beaten, a little more if it was taken care of. At 35K, and it is not smoking, you probably have 1 or 2 thousand miles before she starts smoking, and when she does it is an expensive repair if you don't do it yourself. Ask the owner if new valve guides were installed, if they were then great.

The rest of the engine is good for 75-100K if you take care of it and there is not something nasty hiding in there already.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

fill out your bio. If you are in NY, I'll sell you the same bike for similar money with just over 5K on the clock and a brake upgrade.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

fill out your bio. If you are in NY, I'll sell you the same bike for similar money with just over 5K on the clock and a brake upgrade.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Geeto, I'm over the border in Nassau County. Do you have any pix of your bike for sale?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links