modifying xs650 triple with xs400 stem
Close

This is a discussion on modifying xs650 triple with xs400 stem within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I'm knee deep in an xs400/xs650 hodge-podge bike i'm putting together and have decided i need to remove the stem from a xs650 lower tree ...

I'm knee deep in an xs400/xs650 hodge-podge bike i'm putting together and have decided i need to remove the stem from a xs650 lower tree and weld in a xs400 stem.

Anyone have words of wisdom for doing this? They both appear to be welded in stems.
    In order to use my xs650 wheel fork combo on my xs400 neck, i narrowed down my options and this seems like the best solution. Although i'm open to other recommendations too.
    Anyone got any links showing the process?
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

I have done it before. If you grind the weld off until you see a faint circle you should be able to press or hammer it out. Heat may be needed. Do you have a stem length problem or a stem diameter problem? I have also shortened stems and thats a pretty easy process.
    http://www.scramblercycle.com

Hard to suggest other solutions without all dimensions and physical constraints.

I too have done many front end adaptations and the approach is generally figure out the easiest and most direct solution.

Three times I changed stems.... each time stems were changed was because the trees had massive 1.250" or 30mm + size stems.

Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

grind the weld on the bottom of the stem. like was said....until you see the tree to stem seam. use a 10ton press, and press it out using a drift from the bottom. when you press in the new stem....go the same direction. hammering it, i have found, does not work.

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

I agree on not hammering as it is an interference fit.

Warm tree and freeze stem and if ya get lucky.... it will slide home with just a heavy hand.
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

quote:Originally posted by hahnda

I have done it before. If you grind the weld off until you see a faint circle you should be able to press or hammer it out. Heat may be needed. Do you have a stem length problem or a stem diameter problem? I have also shortened stems and thats a pretty easy process.
    I have a stem length problem. i'm using an xs650 wheel/hub/brake with an xs400 neck. I tried useing the 400 trees but they don't space the forks far enough away from one another. So in order to use the wheel and axle, i need to use the 650 trees too. The stem on the 650 is liek 2" too long although it looks like the diameter is the same on both.

I managed to get the stem out of the xs400 tree. Not much luck with the 650 tree yet. Feel like i've grinded as much as i'm comfortable with and still can't see a circle indicating where the stem starts and the tree ends.
    THanks for the tips though. Sometimes when you haven't done something before its nice to get advice from people you trust before you wreck it yourself.

I managed to get the stem out of the xs400 tree. Not much luck with the 650 tree yet. Feel like i've grinded as much as i'm comfortable with and still can't see a circle indicating where the stem starts and the tree ends.
    THanks for the tips though. Sometimes when you haven't done something before its nice to get advice from people you trust before you wreck it yourself.

I would have left the stem in and just cut 2" out of the middle. Find or make a slug to fit inside the stem. A couple of holes in the stem in the area of the slug for a couple of plug welds and then weld up the joint. Just did one a couple of weeks ago when I put a Bridgestone GTR 350 front end on my Bridgestone 175 ice bike.

I would have left the stem in and just cut 2" out of the middle. Find or make a slug to fit inside the stem. A couple of holes in the stem in the area of the slug for a couple of plug welds and then weld up the joint. Just did one a couple of weeks ago when I put a Bridgestone GTR 350 front end on my Bridgestone 175 ice bike.

Sponsored Links