Same size tire, different real size???
Close

This is a discussion on Same size tire, different real size??? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I need to get a pair of tires for the '55 Truimph Cub. The manual calls for a 3:00 x19 front and rear. Now on ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I need to get a pair of tires for the '55 Truimph Cub. The manual calls for a 3:00 x19 front and rear.

Now on the front is a 3:00 x 19 dunlop universal and it does NOT fit into the fender. A previous owner had to extend the fender stay by about an inch to get the fender up over the tire.

So, obviously the Dunlop 3:00x 19 is too wide and tall. Do different manufacturers have a history of being taller, or wider, etc than others with the same size tire? I put a set of tires on my Benelli 125 and a 3.25 of one brand was smaller than a 3:00 of another (I think IRC, but bike is now gone).

JC Whitney has Shinko trials tires in a 2:75 x 19 that I think I will get and hope they fit in the fender.

Anyone know or a place with 2.75 or 3:00 x 19 street tires?? I don't want a high buck tire for this bike, since I will probably only ride it a couple hundred miles a year, if that. Mostly I want the fender to fit correctly.

Thanks,
    Jack

IIRC Triumph had a habot of changing wheel sizes. I know I ended up with a pile of wheels for Unit T100 in 19, 18 and 17". Is it possible that they may have done the same thing on the T20.

It's so long since I saw one let alone rode one, that I can't remember what tires were fitted.

IIRC Triumph had a habot of changing wheel sizes. I know I ended up with a pile of wheels for Unit T100 in 19, 18 and 17". Is it possible that they may have done the same thing on the T20.

It's so long since I saw one let alone rode one, that I can't remember what tires were fitted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Late ones had 17" wheel with full width hubs (pretty sure they were same as C15 wheels?)
    Probably has wrong wheel or mudguard?
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Late ones had 17" wheel with full width hubs (pretty sure they were same as C15 wheels?)
    Probably has wrong wheel or mudguard?
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

No, I beleive that everything is correct on the bike. The rims even still have the "shell blue sheen" paint in the center with the black stripes. The matching serial number on frame and motor indicate 1955, which had 19" wheels.

All the paint matches, but I guess that it could be that sometime in the past 56 years someone put a front fender from a 1956 "chubby cub" that had 16" wheels. But looking at peroid photos the Chubby Cub looks to have the same fender as the '55, but with lots of space around the smaller wheel.

I need to learn how to post pics so I can show what I mean.

What does IIRC stand for?

Thanks
    Jack

No, I beleive that everything is correct on the bike. The rims even still have the "shell blue sheen" paint in the center with the black stripes. The matching serial number on frame and motor indicate 1955, which had 19" wheels.

All the paint matches, but I guess that it could be that sometime in the past 56 years someone put a front fender from a 1956 "chubby cub" that had 16" wheels. But looking at peroid photos the Chubby Cub looks to have the same fender as the '55, but with lots of space around the smaller wheel.

I need to learn how to post pics so I can show what I mean.

What does IIRC stand for?

Thanks
    Jack

If I Recall Correctly

If I Recall Correctly

And yes, the tire size molded onto the sidewall is the nominal size, not actual size. There can be a huge difference from one mfr. to another in actual tire size.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links