4-pot Calipers
Close

4-pot Calipers

This is a discussion on 4-pot Calipers within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Who wins in a brake fight: 1997 CBR (F3) stuff vs. 1998 FZR....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4-pot Calipers

4-pot Calipers

Who wins in a brake fight: 1997 CBR (F3) stuff vs. 1998 FZR.

I have no idea. Are you doing a brake mod because I would love to see it. I have been very curious if I could get some late model brakes to fit a 78 750.

I have no idea. Are you doing a brake mod because I would love to see it. I have been very curious if I could get some late model brakes to fit a 78 750.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

If you're retro fitting, what usually loses is the tire. You don't need to go too far with modern brakes to overcome the available traction.

Space between the disc and the wheel gets to be an issue, I've got a Brembo four pot on what looks to be a 77-78 CB750 front end, and the back of the caliper has been shaved to clear the spokes. Sometimes you just have to use "half a four pot" two pot floaters because nothing else will fit in the space.

Master cylinder bore that matches the caliper/s you end up using is critical, modern discs make a difference and fitting a modern caliper with new pads over a 70's disc isn't always possible....

If you're retro fitting, what usually loses is the tire. You don't need to go too far with modern brakes to overcome the available traction.

Space between the disc and the wheel gets to be an issue, I've got a Brembo four pot on what looks to be a 77-78 CB750 front end, and the back of the caliper has been shaved to clear the spokes. Sometimes you just have to use "half a four pot" two pot floaters because nothing else will fit in the space.

Master cylinder bore that matches the caliper/s you end up using is critical, modern discs make a difference and fitting a modern caliper with new pads over a 70's disc isn't always possible....

quote:Originally posted by rcypert

since you have the comstar setup - 1981-1982 cb705F and 900F twin pot calipers. Seriously honda still uses the calipers on a lot of their bikes today and they are a bolt on upgrade as long as you get the mounting brackets. Also they actually have service items available and piston and seal kits are usually under $50 for them. I have them on two of my 78 cb750F bikes with comstars and they work amazing.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

since you have the comstar setup - 1981-1982 cb705F and 900F twin pot calipers. Seriously honda still uses the calipers on a lot of their bikes today and they are a bolt on upgrade as long as you get the mounting brackets. Also they actually have service items available and piston and seal kits are usually under $50 for them. I have them on two of my 78 cb750F bikes with comstars and they work amazing.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Without measuring, I suspect that the Honda may have a thinner back side so would allow more clearance for the wheel. As a point of interest, there are 2 pad thicknesses available for those calipers that might be of use. EBC has the FA-69 and FA69/2.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Without measuring, I suspect that the Honda may have a thinner back side so would allow more clearance for the wheel. As a point of interest, there are 2 pad thicknesses available for those calipers that might be of use. EBC has the FA-69 and FA69/2.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

also older bikes have thicker rotors.
    the 82 CB900F brackets, cross reference them on bikebandit to find out what other bikes the brakets came in (becuase its alot), will bolt to to the 77-78 CB750F forks.
    the cb900F calipers are twin 30mm.
    the calipers off of the V65, again that and MANY other bikes are 32mm and have the same mounting points.

also the bike this is that it lets you run a much better pad. and in the braking performance dont count out the pads.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links