Heat wrap, does it suck?
Close

Heat wrap, does it suck?

This is a discussion on Heat wrap, does it suck? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I read the heat wrap can be bad for headers, has anyone heard that anywhere? Should i just get the headers sprayed with some type ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heat wrap, does it suck?

I read the heat wrap can be bad for headers, has anyone heard that anywhere? Should i just get the headers sprayed with some type of high heat sollution? The object here is to avoid spending a large amount on new headers since mine are still tip top.
    david

the only problem I know of with header wrap is that it traps condensation. Usually this means paint your pipes first, then wrap (and then if you want black wrap) paint again. If you store your bike indoors and it is relativley climate controlled then this really isn't a concern, if you keep it by the door and you open and close the door all the time then thats a little different.

The up points of header wrap espically on a honda is that it keeps heat from soaking into the oil filter. Most hondas have the filter right behind the pipes and they get hot. Don't over do it and mumify your pipes, you want just enough to cover past the engine.

I'm not sure why you want to heat wrap the pipes, it's original intended purpose was to enhance the efficiency of exhaust gas scavenging, keeping the exhaust gases hotter longer.

If you are running a highly tuned raced engine...well you may or may not be able to realize some benefit after much dyno tuning.

In most cases you will just increase the rate at which your headers oxidize into powder. Some stainless headers will hold up quite a while under street use..depends on the alloy 304/316 etc.

No reason to wrap street headers at all...unless you have a specific heat problem in a particular area.....and in that case it's FAR better to use some kind of heat insulating material between the exhaust and the component you are trying to protect.

Many a person has ruined their steel exhausts by wrapping them to look like the race bikes of the day. Now days wrapping is an art practiced by experienced wrenches to address particular exhaust gas dynamics on particular engines.

Just paint them with Dupli-Color high heat paint and bake in an oven according to their instructions and the finish will hold up very well for quite a long time.
    JohnnyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

good deal. Paint it is. I just wanted to know if there was a paint out there, had some trouble tracking it down but found it after you put the name. Wrap seems a bit much, but it does look decent. Maybe if i build a race bike. Thanks for the words of wisdom.
    david
    not using header wrap

David,
    The Dupli-Color "Ceramic" high heat paint is excellent. Not sure if it's possible for you but baking it on according to the instructions makes a world of difference. It stinks though. Once it's baked on the stuff seems impervious to solvents, fuel etc. About the best I've found. Makes a real nice, hard coating when baked. I use my powder coating oven to bake it on.
    If you don't bake it on...be careful with the pipes before they get heated up and cure, it's not solvent/fuel proof before it gets cured.
    I've tried several different paints and it's the best I've found. Use it on all my race bikes, will lighten up a bit up by the exhaust ports...but then the pipes get red hot up there during a race.
    JohnnyB

Excelent. Lucky me, I have access to large baking ovens and what not that im sure i could use for this (if they work).
    david

David,
    My powder coating oven is made from the guts of a household electric oven that I built a large insulated metal cabinet for. All the controls no longer work so I'm down to switching the coils with breakers and watching an oven themometer through the window
    JohnnyB

bill hirsch paints are much better johhnyb I dont know if you have tried them i have for years and thier high heat stuff WORKS .Good high quality grade paints ofr auto and bike engine work check them out .

http://www.hirschauto.com/

Well....I don't see how they could be MUCH better. The Dupli-color holds up to red hot temps for a couple of years of racing conditions, and seems impervious to solvents.
    And I can get it at Walmart. Well....it would be MUCH better if it gave me 5hp for free.
    JohnnyB

It is much better Johnny B so try it.Ive used dupli color and it works well Im not saying its not good its the best readily available even Krylon barbaque paint I have used it works ,as well as duplicolor. So again Im not saying dont get duplicolor, just that Bill Hirsch stuff is a notch below plasma spraying and jet=hot coat,for a lot less money then those offer.

So my order would be: duplicolor High heat/Krylon B-Q
    Bill Hirsch paints
    jet-hot/plasma spray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links