Cafe Racer Forum banner

best source for cb-cl350 mikuni vm carbs kit

9K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  kochic 
#1 ·
I need 2 mikuni 30mm round slide for my cb350.All the used carb i've seen are missing parts or are in bad shape.
What is the best place to get some?
I saw a couple kit on ebay from speed moto compagny and other.
Some carbs look cheap knockoff mikuni on ebay.[B)][B)]
any advice is welcome.
thanks,
marc

#5 ·
Stay away from the pre-jetted carb kits. If you're planning on using lowered bars then the throttle cable they include will need to be trimmed, and so you'd be better off getting a custom job from MotionPro. Also the filters they include are usually cheap. And as far as the jetting goes, you can just use the search function on here to get an idea of what others have done. Then order an assortment of jets, with your mains and pilots going a step up and down...

Keep your stock carb manifolds. They are angled slightly outward, and you'll need that in order for your carbs and filters to clear the frame.

#7 ·
Dime City cycles offers a 30mm Mikuni pre-jetted for the 350 and it may be legit. What I really meant to say was to avoid the "complete" kits that have the way-too-long throttle cable an pod filters, when a shorter cable and a pair of Uni filters or K&N's can be had for cheaper...

#8 ·
Base everything on what you can read, learn and price here:

http://www.sudco.com/index.html

Sudco is where an awful lot of these carbs come into the US. Their prices will give you an idea of how high or low others are pricing.
I've bought half a dozen carbs from them, not pre-jetted though. Good prices, best info, parts diagrams and parts supply in the country from what I've seen.

Sudco might not be the cheapest, but they aren't the most expensive either, and you'll get carbs that are probably right off the boat from Japan. I've even requested carbs they don't have and they've got them from Japan for me.
JohnnyB

#9 ·
I only need 2 30mm carbs with 2 new intake boots.I dont need cheap emgo filter i already have k&n filters.For the throttle cable i can make a custom one, i have the motion pro cable end fitting kit ( the bit kit in the yellow box).If the VM main jet are all the same i have a bunch of them from the time i worked on snowmobiles.
I have a 3.3 needle kit, i will have to buy another one.
I bought parts from sudco last year for and old set of keihin cr special.I cant complaing about their service.
Thanks,
marc

#10 ·
The snowmobiles you worked on two-stroke? If so, none of your stuff will work correctly.

#11 ·
MArc,

As you probably know form your sled days, Mikuni VM carbs come with two types of emulsion tubes/needle jets - Primary and Bleed. 2 strokes typically use the Primary type and 4 strokes typically use Bleed.

Of course Mikuni decided to manufacture different jets so that none of us would get confused. Two strokes usually use large HEX jets and 4 strokes sometimes use them and other times use large ROUND main jets. The threads are different and the numbering/calibration is very different.

A four stroke will run with a Primary needle jet, but is slightly better with Bleed types. VM carbs usually come with 2 stroke type Primary needle jets.

If you have jetted sleds, this should be as easy.

#13 ·
quote:Originally posted by Teazer

MArc,

As you probably know form your sled days, Mikuni VM carbs come with two types of emulsion tubes/needle jets - Primary and Bleed. 2 strokes typically use the Primary type and 4 strokes typically use Bleed.

Of course Mikuni decided to manufacture different jets so that none of us would get confused. Two strokes usually use large HEX jets and 4 strokes sometimes use them and other times use large ROUND main jets. The threads are different and the numbering/calibration is very different.

A four stroke will run with a Primary needle jet, but is slightly better with Bleed types. VM carbs usually come with 2 stroke type Primary needle jets.
do you have any numbers for the bleed type jetting...I've got mine tuned adequately with the primary type but haven't gotten around to testing with bleed type and suspect improvements can be had.
thanks for any numbers you can share.

#14 ·
I'm a SUDCO dealer and can get you better pricing than what they show for retail on their website if you're interested.

quote:Originally posted by kochic

sudco price on website is 115$ for a basic vm30.
I will send them an email with my need.
The stuff i have is for 2 stroke with long needle tube nozzle.
marc

#15 ·
I,m interested,
do you ship to canada?
I'm out of town right now but plan to be at home at the beginning of the next week.
You can email me a quote at the email in my profile here.
I need 2 vm30 with bleed type nozzle to use on a 73 hondacb350g with 2 intake boots too.
You can give me a quote with or without shipping.
Paypal is fine?
I just checked your website too i may take a key if you have the number i need.
Thanks,
Marc

#16 ·
quote:Originally posted by kochic

I,m interested,
do you ship to canada?
I'm out of town right now but plan to be at home at the beginning of the next week.
You can email me a quote at the email in my profile here.
I need 2 vm30 with bleed type nozzle to use on a 73 hondacb350g with 2 intake boots too.
You can give me a quote with or without shipping.
Paypal is fine?
I just checked your website too i may take a key if you have the number i need.
Thanks,
Marc
I haven't done the CV to Mikuni swap on a CB350 so I'm not going to pretend that I know what you need. I do know that the jetting and the jet needles and needle jets are not going to work how the carbs are currently set up.

There is a lengthy discussion here about setting up VM30's.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=printpage;topic=52521.0

It will also depend a bit on what you have for exhaust and other mods.

I do ship to Canada.

#19 ·
I was reading this thread trying to find info that might help me. I have a 72 CL 350 that I put a lot of work into restoring and its beautiful but the carbs have given me fits for three years. I've gone in almost a grand to 3 different mechanics and nobody could get it running well. If it doesn't rev really high on the idle it just sputters out and dies after a few minutes of running. I have cleaned and replaced everything more than once and tried every adjustment i can think of so I wonder if it is the bladder or whatever they call it on the slide, I have no idea how to diagnose that though and I can't find replacements. So I have pretty much given up and decided to get the mikuni carbs even though I was hoping to keep it stock. Any thoughts on the Keihin carbs not running well or on what replacements I should buy if I want to get Mikuni's??

#20 ·
If your diaphrams are't torn or have holes in them they should be ok. Did any of the mechanics have the carbs off to clean them? Have you synched your carbs so they are working together? You synch them with the cable adjusters. Try this, rev the bike to about 2000 rpms and have someone hold it there. Pull a spark plug wire and see where your rpms go. Attach the plug wire again and pull the other wire and see where your rpms go. Compare the two and adjust the cables to get them to match. Do the same for idle, you don't want one carb/cylinder doing all the work at idle and pulling the other one with it, both should be matched at idle.

Also check and see if you still have the spring/washer/oring on your pilot adj screw if your model of carbs has them.

#21 ·
Thanks, that sounds like good advice. In the beginning I removed and cleaned and replaced all the parts from the kits so all jets were cleaned out and replaced, and the diaphrams do not have any visible damage and seem pretty good to me. All the mechanics claimed to have remove, cleaned one thing or another, and/or replaced various parts and jets. I was able to extrapolate from what they did and what I read online and in manuals in order to rebuild them again and again carefully setting float depth and adjusting the screws. One mechanic claimed that they would never run well with the jetting as it was because the air filters were after market. I checked all the info I could gather and learned that the jetting I use is as stock. I will try this technique and let you know if it works. Thanks again.

#22 ·
quote:Originally posted by nic579

Pre jetted kits here but I dont know what he charges Post the price here if you find out.

http://web.me.com/thracing/THR/CB350_K4.html
295$ for the carbs and 62$ for NOS honda manifold.
I will received a complete price list which would be great because i have other stuff to buy-compare.
Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.