F'ing carb screws!!!!
Close

F'ing carb screws!!!!

This is a discussion on F'ing carb screws!!!! within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I had this problem before, the screws for the cap on my Keihins were stuck and almost stripped them trying to get them out. At ...

F'ing carb screws!!!!

I had this problem before, the screws for the cap on my Keihins were stuck and almost stripped them trying to get them out. At that time I just gave the carbs to my buddy and asked him to finish rebuiding them. I mentioned to him the other night that I thought the bike may be running lean and asked if I'd have any trouble with those screws and he said I shouldn't, I am.
    They're stuck again!!!! They're 6mm long and I'm assuming I can get some at the local big box store but I don't want to risk stripping the threads drilling them out. Someone mentioned an impact driver last time and I can run down and pick one up but my fear is slamming into my carbs might screw up float levels, screw other shit up etc...
    Any advice?
    1988 FZ600

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Impact drivers rarely work on carbs, you are more likely to break a flange off than unscrew anything.
    If screws have a small 'dot' punched into them, they are JIS and need a JIS screwdriver, standard Phillips will round them out.
    It's usually posible to use a small flat punch to tap the chewed up edges back into shape, then carefully re-form 'cross' by tapping a Phillips screwdriver bit into the burred over edges
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

OK, got em off. I just cut a straight with the dremel and used a flat head. I'll get new screws.

I'm soooo stupidly lost with these carbs. They have a diaphram which I knew but I don't see how to adjust it. It doesn't have the little notched stem like the slide carb on my kart engine. Help for a carb moron? Anyone? Also, good source for jets for Keihens? I see most places sell them for HD's. My carbs are 35mm but I hav no idea the model. Thanks again.
    1988 FZ600

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Jet-R-Us for jets.
    Needle probably isn't adjustable, there should be a screw in plug holding it in place.
    What bike are they for? (KZ440?)
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Yes crazypj, they are for a KZ440. And yes, there is a screw in plug holding them in place. Is the only way to adjust mixture with jets? And of course, I can't make out the size of the jet; it looks like there is something etched on there but I cant make it out, not even with a magnifying glass (damn eyes).
    1988 FZ600

Hey Mickey, did you ever take a look at KZ400.com? Tons of info there (such as downloadable service manuals and specs for everything), plus a whole 'nother forum to leech for info.
    Dictated but not read.

Thanks dielecric. I have been to that site, it's on my favorites. I've got the info on jetting in my manual (#68 main, IIRC) but I can't say for sure thats whats in there without being able to see for sure. I guess I'll just get a couple jets up and down to be safe. Besides, I plan to make a 2 into 1 over the winter so I'll likely need to rejet all over again. As for the model carb, I guess it's a CV36 (I measured 35 but I could be wrong). I'll call Jets R Us tuesday and confirm.

I really hate having my bike down for any period of time, especially now that the weather is nice but I also don't like riding it when I know it's not running correctly. I've got a few other things to do while I wait for jets (shocks are coming next week, and I have the brake side of my FZ rearsets and the shifter should be here next week as well) so that'll keep me busy until then. Hopefully in a week or so I'll have the majority of these things sorted out and then I can enjoy the bike for a bit.
    1988 FZ600

Sponsored Links