kickstart pinion broken?
Close

kickstart pinion broken?

This is a discussion on kickstart pinion broken? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; the started motor on my 73 cb450 was not working and i didn't mind kick starting it, but starting yesterday every couple of kicks (i ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

kickstart pinion broken?

the started motor on my 73 cb450 was not working and i didn't mind kick starting it, but starting yesterday every couple of kicks (i was tuning up the carbs, and it took me a while to get it right) it would feel like it slipped. but today after taking it out on it first voyage over a mile today when it stalled i tried kicking it over it felt like it wouldn't catch. without splitting the crankcase I was wondering if you guys think it is a stripped pinion or if I should look for other possibilities.
    also I couldn't pop the clutch if that factors in
    Thanks

Take the clutch cover off and see whats going on in there. The whole kick start system is under the cluitch cover. There are lots of parts for it and the electric starter too, available, it shouldn't be to hard or much to fix. If the bike has been sitting a long time, before you got it, it might even just be rusty or stuck. the only way to know is to look and see.
    \'78CB750f,\'76 cb500t,\'5-CB/CL450 basketcases,\'68 CL175,\'66 CA77/in a CL72 frame,\'1971 DT1f,1988cbr1000f,1987cbr1000f

Take the clutch cover off and see whats going on in there. The whole kick start system is under the cluitch cover. There are lots of parts for it and the electric starter too, available, it shouldn't be to hard or much to fix. If the bike has been sitting a long time, before you got it, it might even just be rusty or stuck. the only way to know is to look and see.
    \'78CB750f,\'76 cb500t,\'5-CB/CL450 basketcases,\'68 CL175,\'66 CA77/in a CL72 frame,\'1971 DT1f,1988cbr1000f,1987cbr1000f

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Thanks oldhondacafe, I will check it out tomorrow and let you know what i find

Thanks oldhondacafe, I will check it out tomorrow and let you know what i find

You gotztuh split the case to deal with the ratchet and friction spring mechanisms.
    Please add to your symptoms....Does the kick lever just fall through? Does it return with authority? Does it just sorta tun the engine over?

NE
    Subscribe to SIX HOT ISSUES!! of WarmPipe for only $29.99!!! Interweb NOW!!!!!

You gotztuh split the case to deal with the ratchet and friction spring mechanisms.
    Please add to your symptoms....Does the kick lever just fall through? Does it return with authority? Does it just sorta tun the engine over?

NE
    Subscribe to SIX HOT ISSUES!! of WarmPipe for only $29.99!!! Interweb NOW!!!!!

What do you mean about the clutch? Is it slipping or what? Pop the clutch cover off and put the kickstart lever back on the shaft and turn it to see what is happening. It almost sounds like a clutch lifter problem. But check teh adjustment first at teh motor as well as the hand lever to see if something is out of adjustment.

What do you mean about the clutch? Is it slipping or what? Pop the clutch cover off and put the kickstart lever back on the shaft and turn it to see what is happening. It almost sounds like a clutch lifter problem. But check teh adjustment first at teh motor as well as the hand lever to see if something is out of adjustment.

just took off the clutch cover and took off the sproket and all the splines look great and nothing seem wrong there.
    the kickstart returns like it should, going down there is some resistance, but it is smooth. it isn't turning over the engine. If I put it in first and kick it the wheel does turn (don't know if that helps)
    The clutch is fine, made sure of that before the first trip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links