honda cub c100 - price of painting (Los Angeles)
Close

This is a discussion on honda cub c100 - price of painting (Los Angeles) within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I have a Honda Cub that I rebuilt the engine (stuck transmission and broken kicker shaft) a little while back. Its all more or less ...

I have a Honda Cub that I rebuilt the engine (stuck transmission and broken kicker shaft) a little while back. Its all more or less together but has some pitting and surface rust in crevices. Wife will be gone for a while this summer so thought that I might be able to fix that one up pretty quick.

I will need the frame, forks etc. sand blasted and painted. The bodyshop next to my work 'offered' to do just paint with no sandblasting or any bodywork for $500... Seems steep to me... Hell I will start painting shit if you get paid like that.

I can sandblast all parts except the main frame which will not fit in a cabinet.

I will try to check with friends for a solution for the paint/blasting but if I had to go commercial what do you guys think is reasonable price for:

a) sandblasting the frame (its tiny)
    b) painting it all.

Gonna be white. I am starting to think that I will borrow a compressor (tiny but not TINY) from work and buy a cheap paintgun. I was considering rattle can too. Its not a museum nice bike. I have painted my moped as a teenager, a toyota ke25 also as a teenager etc. I ma not good but not horrible at painting. Going commercial would help in actually getting that shit done though. Once I am done with a makeshift paint booth etc. gotten all the chemicals and tools together it becomes bigger operation.

Its all the parts in the picture (somebody else's bike) + chain guard halves.

Also any tips where to find a good helpful place to buy automotive paint in Los Angeles would be great.

-

meh, clean it up and rattle can it. $500 just to spray paint is crazy! maybe if they were doing some special order color match, but just to load a gun and let it bake???

Who was just using appliance paint on something...that looked like it turned out really well, maybe that route would work.
    Did you hear about the pirate with two wooden legs?

They caught fire and burned his ass to the ground!

That seems steep with out body work.
    With body work its not a bad price.

paint is all in the prep and materials
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

agreed - but I live in clueless hipsterland - said shop is in Venice, CA.

I read a lot about rattle can jobs the other night. Seems like a lot of work for not so special results - gets so close to the hassle of cleaning a paint gun etc.

-

try bright side yacht paint

Ive had good results with it.
    like a 5 footer...if you take more time and prep it can be even better
    very tuff stuff
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Check this out, if you decide to do it yourself this is factory match for the Honda Trails so you have high quality factory colors. http://www.ct70paint.com/#oid=1013_2_banner_3

As for the frame blast it yourself, do you have an air compressor? Northern tool has a sandblast gun that works off of suction for $25. 5 pound bag of glass bead $8.99, 5 gallon bucket $2. Pour glass in bucket stick tube in bucket plug gun to compressor and shoot in your back yard.

I did this to a Jawa moped frame and a cb350 frame recently in no time. Blast all my parts once I found out how expensive it was. Buy a paint gun $60 and some plastic sheeting and paint it up. Will come out wonderful.

Don't forget self etching primer if you go to bare metal
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

Check this out, if you decide to do it yourself this is factory match for the Honda Trails so you have high quality factory colors. http://www.ct70paint.com/#oid=1013_2_banner_3

As for the frame blast it yourself, do you have an air compressor? Northern tool has a sandblast gun that works off of suction for $25. 5 pound bag of glass bead $8.99, 5 gallon bucket $2. Pour glass in bucket stick tube in bucket plug gun to compressor and shoot in your back yard.

I did this to a Jawa moped frame and a cb350 frame recently in no time. Blast all my parts once I found out how expensive it was. Buy a paint gun $60 and some plastic sheeting and paint it up. Will come out wonderful.

Don't forget self etching primer if you go to bare metal
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

Good luck with the project. I am a big C100 fan, have 4 or 5 myself.

I just did my Honda C110 race bike with a rattle can and it isn't bad at all. Took a lot of time in the prepping, primed it and several coats of finish. Not perfect but it will get all scrapped up anyway. Looks good at 4 feet.

I was quoted $200 plus paint from a part timer that does nice work, but it is good enough for my purpose for about $50 in materials and supplies.

Since you were into the trans on yours, sometimes one of mine is very hard to get into gear, especially under hard (relatively for a 50) acceleration. Any thoughts?

Jack

Good luck with the project. I am a big C100 fan, have 4 or 5 myself.

I just did my Honda C110 race bike with a rattle can and it isn't bad at all. Took a lot of time in the prepping, primed it and several coats of finish. Not perfect but it will get all scrapped up anyway. Looks good at 4 feet.

I was quoted $200 plus paint from a part timer that does nice work, but it is good enough for my purpose for about $50 in materials and supplies.

Since you were into the trans on yours, sometimes one of mine is very hard to get into gear, especially under hard (relatively for a 50) acceleration. Any thoughts?

Jack

Sponsored Links