Cafe Racer Forum banner

81 CM400T Speed Box

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  jaguar 
#1 ·
Alright this is the last part before I can ride this bike around. The speed box only works in reverse but not forward. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix it because finding something for the 30yr old bike is kinda hard. Any new speedos I can fit to it to make it work?

#3 ·
Wholly hell...

well if you are talking about a SPEEDO then just replace it.....well maybe not.....speedo is probably more then the bike...lol sorry

are you sure that the speedo drive is installed right and that the cable is good?

PM geeto....think that he has one....really he has a hawk something speedo.

#11 ·
Hey everyone,

The magical speed box i was talking is 44800-447-013 BOX ASSY.
http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-44800-447-013.html

I guess i could have described it something better. Its on the right side and use to work properly. It is not the speedometer I know that works for sure. I can spin the wheel forward and the cable doesn't move most of the time. I spin the wheel backwards and I can feel the cable spinning pretty good.

Part 10
http://www.powersportsplus.com/part...CM400T A/CM400A-TFRONT WHEEL 79-81/parts.html

It seems to me that the little two tabs inside the bike aren't catching to move the cable. It worked for awhile when I aligned everything when I take the wheel on and off. It was sitting the shop and I asked if I put it on backwards the guy said no he even put new tires and everything and said it was fine.

Ill post a picture a week or so of the piece im talking about from my bike.

thanks all

#13 ·
I think you mean 'velocity inhibitor plate', hillsy.

#16 ·
It's not broken, anyway. It's on the wrong side.

#17 ·
Ahhhhhh, speedo drive gearbox.
should be on left side of CB400T
You do have original instruments?

#18 ·
Its on the same side as my rotor or 'velocity inhibitor plate' (thx mudmonkey). I can't find it in Canada from anyone. I do have the original instruments,its in the right place I dunno. I'll check the gear inside maybe its in backwards.

Jaguar I don't want to spend the $50 on it plus the duties and tax of it coming across the boarders. I would rather to see if I can fix a small part inside without spending alot of money.

#19 ·
Its on the same side as my rotor or 'velocity inhibitor plate' (thx mudmonkey). I can't find it in Canada from anyone. I do have the original instruments,its in the right place I dunno. I'll check the gear inside maybe its in backwards.

Jaguar I don't want to spend the $50 on it plus the duties and tax of it coming across the boarders. I would rather to see if I can fix a small part inside without spending alot of money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.