XS750 Problem
Close

XS750 Problem

This is a discussion on XS750 Problem within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So I just bought a new 1977 XS750. I tried to start it and it started to sputter but then died. I was leaking gas ...

Thread: XS750 Problem

XS750 Problem

So I just bought a new 1977 XS750. I tried to start it and it started to sputter but then died. I was leaking gas out of my carbs. So took it apart cleaned it out, all my jets are fine and found out it was the float. It had liquid inside the float, replaced it and put the carb back on. Now the starter wont work. I here it just click and spins freely. What do you think it is? Starter relay/solenoid or do does it sound like I need a new starter? Thank you
    Chris Carson

Messing with your carbs should not effect the starter. The starter should have a centrifugal gear on the end of it that will engage your engine clutch /or alternator gear with the starter is spinning. It should automatically retract when the starter stops spinning. It will have a spring (usually has) that retracts the starter gear. I think your problem is mechanical and the starter is working correctly - you should check out the end gear on the starter.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

Right. The starter was working and was turning over but not firing. The carb was leaking because one of the floats was not working. So I cleaned the carb to fix that problem but then the starter was acting up. I will take out the starter and check that spring.
    Chris Carson

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Hang on - now your saying the starter is working and does turn the bike over and the problem is the bike will not start??? There is a good chance your starter problem is due to a run-down battery - charge the battery or replace it and I believe your starter problem will disappear. As far as getting the engine to start - get a manual to start, a six-pack and invite a buddy over that knows more than you do right now.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

...also, give your crankcase a sniff, if the gas was leaking out of the carbs it could possibly have got past your valves and down into your oil.
    If you beat me all you have done is beaten an old fat guy. But If I beat you then you have been beaten by an old fat guy!

Almost a sure thing with the old XS petcocks. Likely your oil is FULL of fuel....not good.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

Sponsored Links