Need Longer Swingarm Bolt
Close

This is a discussion on Need Longer Swingarm Bolt within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I plan on mounting a set of CB77 footpeg mounts on the classic 50 racer, using the swing arm bolt as one of the mounting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I plan on mounting a set of CB77 footpeg mounts on the classic 50 racer, using the swing arm bolt as one of the mounting points.

One issue is that I need a bolt about an 1 1/4" longer than stock. Obviouly they don't have this down at the hardware store or even the local Fastenall.

Did a Google search and came up with one place that would make one, but it was way over budget at $100.

I thought that I could buy an unthreaded bolt blank, and use a die to cut the threads as needed, but don't see a source for just the blanks, they want to cut them for you.

Any advice appreciated.

Also, I am a bit concerned that if I use the swingarm bolt as a mount, and tighten it down, would the friction from the peg mounts imped the correct movement of the swing arm? Looking at other 50's, it seems that the swingarm bolt is a common attachment point.

Thanks

Not sure about your 50, but on most bikes of the era, the center spacer/inner bearing is longer than the bushes, so that the swingarm has a small amount of lateral play which is shimmed. That's also how a CB72 works. Tighten the swingarm up nice and tight and there's no friction from the ends. It's still free to move.

Grafing next to Munich, Bavaria, Germany.
    One solution might be to buy a bar of proper diameter, cut the threads on it and use a nut on each side.
    Or, depending on the diameter of the swingarm pivot, you could perhaps machine internal threads to it and then use bolts to fasten the pegs.

Best regards
    Sven

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Thanks Guys.

I just thought why couldn't I just buy a longer bolt of the same diameter, cut it to the correct length and thread it? Sometimes I overlook the simple solutions. Now if I can find an 11 inch bolt.

?mm x 279.4mm

Its all metric, you might check my calculations.

Jack you might need to get the metal stock and cut the threads for that.
    A place like Napa auto parts may be able to get you a long stud length the correct Dia. if not a bolt. Take the one you have in with you for sample to reduce confusion.

http://www.metricscrew-toolco.com/

Theses guys know there stuff. Web site not so good but call you'll get what you need at resonable price too.

\"Smok\'in the competition NOT Tobacco\"
    \"Transplant organs, Don\'t bury them!\"

USCRA #944
    WVRC #44
    www.wvrclub.com

What diameter is the stock one? If it's small enough a long engine bolt from a different bike might work. If it's larger you may need to use a thick wall chrome moly tube and thread both ends, then weld/braze one of the nuts on. One of our TZ race bikes has a back axle that was made that way.

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    What diameter do you need? (10mm? 12mm?, 14mm?)
    There are a lot of 70's~80's and even current bikes that use relatively small diameter pivot bolts.
    Cutting threads isn't a good idea on swing arm pivot bolt, the originals are a 'rolled' thread which makes it much stronger.
    If you have to make one, you can get precision ground metric drill rod pretty cheap, as long as it isn't hardened it should be strong enough?
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

I will happily make your new swingarm pivot. Just need to know the diameter, length and thread pitch you need.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links