Carburetor Slide Seized - bike ran wednesday.
Close

This is a discussion on Carburetor Slide Seized - bike ran wednesday. within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I want to preface this by saying that this bike was running GREAT on Wednesday. It stayed outside thursday night in the somewhat cold and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I want to preface this by saying that this bike was running GREAT on Wednesday. It stayed outside thursday night in the somewhat cold and ran back to my house poorly.

I pulled the carbs today after making sure the bike had spark on the left cylinder and found that the left slide was seized in place. After doing a little e reshearch and calling a friend I doused it in PB blaster and tapped on the slide with a hammer and a piece of soft wood (pine).

Throughout the day I have been dousing the exposed sides of the slide with PB blaster and waiting. I've noticed no change.

In my head there would be a way to create a sort of scissor jack to push the slide out from inside the carbs. Am I crazy? Are there things I should try? Someone said boil the carburators . . . could the heat of boiling water break the seize? This isn't a bike that has been sitting for years (I mean it was . . . but it ran great on wednesday)

Thoughts?
    Criticism?
    Advice?

Thanks in Advance.

Ben
    *1975 honda CB360 - Excuse me, English is my second language and I\'ve been drinking.

I work at STAMP
    my work can be seen here

Pull carb. Take off top. Don't rip diaphragm. Remove slide and diaphragm. Figure out why sticking.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

Pull carb. Take off top. Don't rip diaphragm. Remove slide and diaphragm. Figure out why sticking.

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    The CV carbs use butterfly to control airflow, you have carb top off and diaphragm is OK?
    The slides are anodised, very unusual for them to stick.
    Most likely you didn't clean them properly and they are gummed up, if the carb body wasn't bashed and bent, it's the only thing I've seen where slides stick overnight, particularly if bike had been standing for a while with gas in carbs previously.
    The nice even layer of gum gets loosened up and 'sets'
    The other thing it could possibly be, there was some water between slide and carb body, it froze and bent something?
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    The CV carbs use butterfly to control airflow, you have carb top off and diaphragm is OK?
    The slides are anodised, very unusual for them to stick.
    Most likely you didn't clean them properly and they are gummed up, if the carb body wasn't bashed and bent, it's the only thing I've seen where slides stick overnight, particularly if bike had been standing for a while with gas in carbs previously.
    The nice even layer of gum gets loosened up and 'sets'
    The other thing it could possibly be, there was some water between slide and carb body, it froze and bent something?
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Day two - sprayed it down a few dozen times and let it soak. The slide won't unstick. Going to try boiling to see if the heat will loose everything.

Diaphragm is fine (just replaced them) and i pulled it off because I wanted to see what was going on down there. I'm checking the weather and it doesn't look like it froze wednesday or thursday night. Since then the bike has been in the garage and shouldn't have frozen either.

if boiling doesn't work - is this the direction I'm going to need to move in?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-75-Hond...ht_2011wt_1114

Thanks.
    *1975 honda CB360 - Excuse me, English is my second language and I\'ve been drinking.

I work at STAMP
    my work can be seen here

Day two - sprayed it down a few dozen times and let it soak. The slide won't unstick. Going to try boiling to see if the heat will loose everything.

Diaphragm is fine (just replaced them) and i pulled it off because I wanted to see what was going on down there. I'm checking the weather and it doesn't look like it froze wednesday or thursday night. Since then the bike has been in the garage and shouldn't have frozen either.

if boiling doesn't work - is this the direction I'm going to need to move in?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-75-Hond...ht_2011wt_1114

Thanks.

I work at STAMP
    my work can be seen here

So, the top is open, and you can't pull the slide out?

Be clear here, please. We aren't there, so can't see what has, and has not, been done.

So, the top is open, and you can't pull the slide out?

Be clear here, please. We aren't there, so can't see what has, and has not, been done.

Top was off. diaphragm was out. slide was stuck.

Boiled the hell out It and nothIng happened. Was going to take it into the lms and see what they thought, but luckily I have a friend who makes his own cider and likes to drink it with friends near motorcycle problems. He was as confused as I was but suggested we take it to our friend who has an unnatural obsession with machine tools. He managed to get the thing out and there is no discernible reason it was stuck in the first place. My thought is that moisture got in there over night and locked it up? Would having a cover help that at all? I dont exactly have a covered space at the apartment to keep it.

Also, when I was trying to tap it loose with a hammer and a piece of softwood (bad idea in my case.) I managed to mar the bottom outside edge of the slide on the carb body. It scratched the inside of the body as we were yanking it out. We dressed the slide with a needle file,but I haven't done anything to the body yet. Steel wool? (I read that somewhere. Maybe the same place I read to use a rubber mallet, so I'm a bit wary of the advice I've previously obtained. ). So what should I do?

I checked the tolerance between the slide and the body. It seems really low(much like the good carb). It turns all the way around and doesn't bind and isn't misshapen at all. Also, I put some "superbike bars" on the 360. I'm sure you will hate them (they might be upside down)

I work at STAMP
    my work can be seen here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links