Micro Controller Techno Geek needed
Close

This is a discussion on Micro Controller Techno Geek needed within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Anyone here have decent experience programming and interfacing devices with Microcontrollers such as the "basic stamp"? I've just got a little prototyping/programing board with a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone here have decent experience programming and interfacing devices with Microcontrollers such as the "basic stamp"?

I've just got a little prototyping/programing board with a basicstamp...looking for someone with lots of experience playing with them. Seems fairly straightforward so far...just modified Basic Language. I'm going to eventually need help with the I/O. I'm looking to build a programable CDI ignition based on these chips or similar.
    Besides not wanting to spend $1000+ on a store bought unit...most of them I've seen would not be suitable for my application anyway.

I want to intercept the trigger signal of the CDI unit that dumps the capacitor to the coil and delay it based on a rpm map.
    JohnnyB

dude,

i have no idea what your talking about. i can operate my mr. coffee machine. i'm an english mjor, not an engineer.

just thought i'd solicit my opinion on this thread.

carry on!

tex

Your coffee machine probably has a micro-controller very similar to the PIC16C57 that I'm talking about.
    It's not rocket science....if you can comprehend Ayn Rand you can do this.
    JohnnyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

http://www.ayn-rand.com/

J "not that" D

This one should be cake.. after all it is the old..

Intercept the trigger signal of the CDI unit that dumps the capacitor to the coil and delay it based on a rpm map.

Has anyone seen my flux capacitor ?

http://d0server1.fnal.gov/users/utes/webpage/doc.jpg

Notice the Johnny B resemblance ?

J "not that" D

Look my bitches...this ain't no comedy shop!!

Where's the brains I ask you!

JohnnyB

n/a
    NOW.....thats the Branson I know!!!

Champ

i work with a guy whose son goes to wit. he can basically remap any chip on his laptop. he specializes in porche 944turbos. basically he can control his air/fuel mix at any rpm range and make adjustments on the fly. ill bet he knows a thing or two about what you are talkin about.

dude

Very similar to what I'm doing.
    The programming isn't that big a deal..it's designing the hardware that I'll need help with. I can do things like program a microcontroller to move servo motors, light shit up...etc..based on an internal "map" of values. What I need is someone that knows both Microcontrollers and CDI ignitions. So I can mate the two of them.

The basics are...the rotor/stator charges a big capacitor...that holds the charge until the "brain" tells it to discharge into the main ignition coil...and from there it goes to the plugs. What I have to do is grab that signal from the brain, hold on to it a predetermined amount of time that is called from an rpm table....( like if the engine is turning 5,000 rpm the timing is 35 degrees...if it's 10,000 rpm it's 45 degrees). Which means I need an rpm input too.
    The fundemental system is not really complicated....but hooking it up to the right components in the right place is where I need help. I mean if you hook up a MicroController the size of your little fingernail to the wrong wire in a 40,000 volt ignition system...well you can imagine that it would become a $50 little ball of glass real quick.
    JohnnyB

The upside is....if I can perfect the system I'm looking a street bike grunt at 6,000 rpm...and max hp at 12,000 rpm.

it is where the money is these days. you wont get rich sanding,welding, sweating... only by pluggin in your laptop and remapping chips or designing cdi's.

the kid totally took his laptop apart and reconfigured it to read and remap these chips. he is working with this tuner who builds 600 hp 944's once this kid plugs his computer in he can elimnate engine knock.. etc. the kid goes to the racetrack with his gear and leaves with a crapload of cash. pretty cool if ya ask me

dude

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links