Fist time build need hel 82 cb750k
Close

This is a discussion on Fist time build need hel 82 cb750k within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I have a 82 cb750k stock except for a Vance and Hines 4-1 exauhst that I picked up for 300 bucks. The bike runs great. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a 82 cb750k stock except for a Vance and Hines 4-1 exauhst that I picked up for 300 bucks. The bike runs great. It's my first bike and after seein some custom bikes online I have Decided to give my bike a legit rebuild Café style. That bein said when it comes to mechanics of a motorcycle I don't know shit from a good grain of chocolate. I am some what mechanically inclined and a Cnc machinist by trade so I have the ability to fashion pretty much anything I may need customized. After doin some research I've gathered that I need some different bars either clubmans or clip ons, different seat, gas tank, tires, fenders, rear sets. What I haven't found info on is bike stance. Do I need to modify the rear shock mounts? Do I need shorter or taller shocks? Do i leave ot stock and make up the difference with tires? I've also read about people takin front forks off of cb900s and puttin them on the 750. I'd like to leave it stock as much as possible but I don't want to hinder performance. I'm not tryin to make a cookie cutter bike that looks cool. Im lookin for a super hang on style more or less. Also where do i start on the engine, performance wise? Like I said earlier it runs good or so I think. Any help would be gravy. Thanks.

So you want to mod it but leave it stock?
    you dont want a cookie cutter bike but you are building it to a "style"?

are you a starburst?

K=custom for the dohc bikes right? i think so, either way its not a great frame to build on....at all...

Why not just try and keep the bike running and service it before trying to play dress up
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

K=standard/UJM

C models are the sway-back cruiser/custom models.

Unless I am completely mistaken.

But I don't think I am.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I think you are right.
    But the k is still a different and not as good a frame as a f?

I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

OK - you're a CNC machinist? You need to make a few parts that others can't....then get the others to do the work you can't.

Make some rearsets and a plain top triple clamp for starters, then show us some pics.

By the way, $300 for a sweet running DOHC CB is a great buy - even if it is a K.

When I said leave it stock I ment use the stock parts that are on it as much as possible. Mainly the cosmetic parts(gas tank, fenders,suspension, ect). But I don't want to hinder performance, so that's why I am asking. If I wanted to have input from a holes I'd go to a Harley forum. I'm new at this and trying to get some hints and tips from people who can help me out. The bike runs fine, doesn't smoke or leak oil. Starts right up, shifts good too. Hillsy, do u no of a how to type document that I could use as a guide for the rearsets? If I had something that would breakdown how to DIY that would be awesome. As far as the comments from jaguar- I say cookie cutter because a lot of people are doin this because it's a new hot thing, I'm doin this to get my feet wet with custom bikes. I ask questions to get answer to steer me in the right direction. I'm askin for help,not to be criticized

ok....

first things first - do the triple check on these bikes, the three most common things to fail:
    - check the starter clutch. The bolts loosen over time and make a terrible noise.
    - timing chain - if it isn't adjusted properly it can actually saw the block in half
    - regulator/rectifier. these go bad constatly and when they do they take out the pulse ignitors.

once you know these things are good....then modify.

Jag is kinda right, if you are gonna buy a DOHC buy an F bike since they are the same money these days. also most of the speed parts are for the F bike not the K or the C.

i have no idea what you mean when you say "custom bikes" and talk about a bandwagon as if you aren't jumping on it yourself.

if you want to really understand this end of the hobby - here is the premise: build a racebike then add all the parts to make it street legal and reliable. This means more than "style", these were bikes that were built to function a certain way before the factories started making race replicas. style is always a secondary consideration over function.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Simple answer,
    call benji cafe racer and send him money.
    in about a year he will send you parts, they all bolt on, then done.

I am Derby\'s Bitch

I've been on their site, does it take a year really. Anybody have any dealings with cb750cafe.com?

SOHC and DOHC stuff doesn't mix. cb750 cafe is carpy's site and 99% of his stuff fits SOHC bikes.

I don't know if it takes a year with benjie, my headlight took two weeks which was fast to me.

this is the forum that tackles the cb750K and C mostly C bikes:

http://www.cb750c.com/

I think you need to be a member to browse.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links