GT550 front end swap
Close

GT550 front end swap

This is a discussion on GT550 front end swap within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I just bought a 1977 GT550 that I'm making my first attempt at a cafe racer. While i'm waitiing for it to arrive I have ...

GT550 front end swap

I just bought a 1977 GT550 that I'm making my first attempt at a cafe racer. While i'm waitiing for it to arrive I have been looking at different mods and want to put a late model GSXR front end on it for the better brakes/cool factor and was wondering how hard the swap would be. I've seen it done with a 77 GS550 but I'm not sure if the frames are similar enough.
    Current project 1977 Suzuki GT550

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Get a tape measure and check some lengths of parts and pieces.
    It WILL change the handling with less fork offset. You'll probably find modern USD forks are too short so early model may be better (mid 90's)
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

All Balls have a steering bearing conversion calculator:

http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconvertion

Now, that doesn't account for stem length (or shortness..), but this dude said he put an 06 GSXR600 front end on his and it was a straight bearing swap:

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I fitted a 1979 gs850g front end to a 1972 gt750 last week.
    I Just need to do a bearings swap, i used kawasaki brg that i already have.
    I will only have to weld a steering stop thing.
    The gt dash is bolt on to the triple tree.
    Marc
    honda cb350 1973
    suzuki gs1000 1978

quote:Originally posted by SDmotor

want to put a late model GSXR front end on it for the better brakes/cool factor and was wondering how hard the swap would be.
    The fact that you are after the cool factor gives me an impression of pretty fresh motorcyclist. Why don't you share us about your riding and mechanical skill level and the current state of your bike.

With broader info you are much more likely to get valuable answers (even if they might be ones you don't like).

In this forum a "hello"- introductory post is appreciated btw.
    -

Sorry I didn't introduce myself first.

I have been riding motorcyles since I was about 7. Endurance riding is a hobby of mine and I have completed multiple saddlesore rides, a border to border ride and a couple of undocumented bun burner rides. I have ridden for a living for the past 20 years and do my own maintenance on my personal bikes. I can also weld (family trade) but don't have the space to put my shop together until after I clear up some domestic legal issues. My fascination with 2 stroke street bikes is what led me to this project. I like the idea of modern suspension coupled with old school technology. "Cool factor" statement aside if you've seen the finished product from the bike shown above you have to agree it is cool.

Sorry I didn't introduce myself first.

I have been riding motorcyles since I was about 7. Endurance riding is a hobby of mine and I have completed multiple saddlesore rides, a border to border ride and a couple of undocumented bun burner rides. I have ridden for a living for the past 20 years and do my own maintenance on my personal bikes. I can also weld (family trade) but don't have the space to put my shop together until after I clear up some domestic legal issues. My fascination with 2 stroke street bikes is what led me to this project. I like the idea of modern suspension coupled with old school technology. "Cool factor" statement aside if you've seen the finished product from the bike shown above you have to agree it is cool.

Almost forgot. I already have an 06 GSXR frame and SV650 swingarm for the conversion. I was gonna ride it this summer and then do the work in the fall/winter but I doubt I'll want to wait. As far as tank and tail, etc I'm not sure what or where I'm gonna end up. Roccity has some really nice stuff. I'm probably gonna have Motohangar do the subframe since he did such a great job on his. Thanks again to Pat at Motohangar for the info on the suspension!

Almost forgot. I already have an 06 GSXR frame and SV650 swingarm for the conversion. I was gonna ride it this summer and then do the work in the fall/winter but I doubt I'll want to wait. As far as tank and tail, etc I'm not sure what or where I'm gonna end up. Roccity has some really nice stuff. I'm probably gonna have Motohangar do the subframe since he did such a great job on his. Thanks again to Pat at Motohangar for the info on the suspension!

Quote Originally Posted by SDmotor View Post
    Did you ever manage to get a modern front end on your Suzuki? I've ridden this '73 GT750 Name:  0908071841a.jpg
Views: 3129
Size:  246.6 KB
    about 80,000 miles so far and I'm finally trying to improve the handling.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links