Frame modification Signatories
Close

This is a discussion on Frame modification Signatories within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi, I have an XS400 that I am slowly turning into a cafe racer. This is my second one I have done and still am ...

Hi,

I have an XS400 that I am slowly turning into a cafe racer. This is my second one I have done and still am unsure of what frame modifications that I can do. I want to chop the rear end of just passed the rear shocks then fit my seat on it. Wondering if anyone knows whats the deal with signatories regarding this frame mod, im guessing its a fairly common mod? I know it doesn't effect the structural integrity of the bike but not sure if i cut it whether or not I will be able to get it registered. Last time I got my bike rego-ed with the old rear end then chopped it immediately then sold it before I had to re-register it, and I don't want to have to do that this time.

Appreciate anyones help.

how do you know it doesn't affect structural rigidity?
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

how do you know it doesn't affect structural rigidity?
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by 88kiwi

I know it doesn't effect the structural integrity of the bike
    I wish I had an animated gif of an old welder/mechanic/framebuilding wizard standing in his well-used shop, looking at the camera and saying, preferably in an Irish accent: Do ya now?

quote:Originally posted by 88kiwi

I know it doesn't effect the structural integrity of the bike
    I wish I had an animated gif of an old welder/mechanic/framebuilding wizard standing in his well-used shop, looking at the camera and saying, preferably in an Irish accent: Do ya now?

[quote]quote:Originally posted by OC Steve

Originally posted by 88kiwi

...looking at the camera and saying, preferably in an Irish accent: Do ya now?
    Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles. It makes me take another look. - S.M.

[quote]quote:Originally posted by OC Steve

Originally posted by 88kiwi

...looking at the camera and saying, preferably in an Irish accent: Do ya now?
    Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles. It makes me take another look. - S.M.

OK - it depends on where you are in Australia as to what the state Transport Dept will want. In QLD, they don't give a shit as long as you have the right documents (RWC, receipt for purchase and there is a record of the VIN being previously registered in Oz). They won't even ask to see the bike or anything. Other states can be different, but it's pretty much up to the guy writing out the RWC as to whether the bike is legally modified. If he thinks not, then you need to get an engineers report / approval to proceed.

So, it's far easier to get the bike registered as stock and then modify it.

The guys are right though - how will YOU know it's safe? And if you take an obviously cut up frame in for an RWC, 9 out of 10 inspectors will reject it point blank. They won't want to risk being caught passing something that is not stock / may not be safe because that's their livelihood on the line if you get caught out.

Also, what are you going to do about mudguards and indicators? There are regulations for these as well which are probably going to be more of an issue for you than cutting your rear seat rails and sticking on a bumstop seat.

OK - it depends on where you are in Australia as to what the state Transport Dept will want. In QLD, they don't give a shit as long as you have the right documents (RWC, receipt for purchase and there is a record of the VIN being previously registered in Oz). They won't even ask to see the bike or anything. Other states can be different, but it's pretty much up to the guy writing out the RWC as to whether the bike is legally modified. If he thinks not, then you need to get an engineers report / approval to proceed.

So, it's far easier to get the bike registered as stock and then modify it.

The guys are right though - how will YOU know it's safe? And if you take an obviously cut up frame in for an RWC, 9 out of 10 inspectors will reject it point blank. They won't want to risk being caught passing something that is not stock / may not be safe because that's their livelihood on the line if you get caught out.

Also, what are you going to do about mudguards and indicators? There are regulations for these as well which are probably going to be more of an issue for you than cutting your rear seat rails and sticking on a bumstop seat.

Sponsored Links