Is there an Easy way? - Page 2
Close

Is there an Easy way?

This is a discussion on Is there an Easy way? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; quote: Originally posted by Tonnystark Do trust that I am using machines where ever possible ( multi wheels and dremels), yet the lines are a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FR
    quote:Originally posted by Tonnystark

Do trust that I am using machines where ever possible ( multi wheels and dremels), yet the lines are a bitch as you canot deviate the direction in anyway or it will show (thus by hand, slow and safe..) 1500 wet or dry leaves a nice satin looking reflection and desired fine line's after a light polish..Figure to polish out the large cover clean and blemish free, then make specific shaped sanding blocks to get into those crany area's...(thinking this how yami had to do it to get it done as well as they did...)
    I'd bead blast if possible.
    FR

http://sidewaysnortheast.blogspot.com/

FR

Do trust that I am using machines where ever possible ( multi wheels and dremels), yet the lines are a bitch as you canot deviate the direction in anyway or it will show (thus by hand, slow and safe..) 1500 wet or dry leaves a nice satin looking reflection and desired fine line's after a light polish..Figure to polish out the large cover clean and blemish free, then make specific shaped sanding blocks to get into those crany area's...(thinking this how yami had to do it to get it done as well as they did...)
    I'd bead blast if possible.
    FR

http://sidewaysnortheast.blogspot.com/

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

IMHO bead blast would be way too abrasive!!!!...As I am trying to keep or replicate the original machined surfaces and textures ,anythiung that would 'frost' would damage further what Yamaha intended.. I did roll #2 steel wool into 1/4 inch balls and used various sizes of hard wood dowel to apply pressure to clean the old clear off.. then using a hole punch, popped out a bunch of "dot's" from 1000 grit wet or dry and then using the same wood dowels, duplicated the proper directional scratches into the clutch side cover's tight nooks and sharp corners...

Industrial and gun bore cleaning brushes are being used thru out this effort, primarily all being brass brushes with plenty of spray oil, works real well ..

3m' should make Scotch bright Q-tips on wooden dowels so I dont have to make my own..
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

IMHO bead blast would be way too abrasive!!!!...As I am trying to keep or replicate the original machined surfaces and textures ,anythiung that would 'frost' would damage further what Yamaha intended.. I did roll #2 steel wool into 1/4 inch balls and used various sizes of hard wood dowel to apply pressure to clean the old clear off.. then using a hole punch, popped out a bunch of "dot's" from 1000 grit wet or dry and then using the same wood dowels, duplicated the proper directional scratches into the clutch side cover's tight nooks and sharp corners...

Industrial and gun bore cleaning brushes are being used thru out this effort, primarily all being brass brushes with plenty of spray oil, works real well ..

3m' should make Scotch bright Q-tips on wooden dowels so I dont have to make my own..
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

....I did roll #2 steel wool into 1/4 inch balls and used various sizes of hard wood dowel to apply pressure to clean the old clear off.. then using a hole punch, popped out a bunch of "dot's" from 1000 grit wet or dry and then using the same wood dowels, duplicated the proper directional scratches into the clutch side cover's tight nooks and sharp corners...
    Dude - you got too much time on your hands.

....I did roll #2 steel wool into 1/4 inch balls and used various sizes of hard wood dowel to apply pressure to clean the old clear off.. then using a hole punch, popped out a bunch of "dot's" from 1000 grit wet or dry and then using the same wood dowels, duplicated the proper directional scratches into the clutch side cover's tight nooks and sharp corners...

quote:Originally posted by hillsy

HA,HA,HA,HA Being single I can do what and when I want.. bike is in the spare bedroom , on a stand sitting on a painting tarp ..I have wanted to redo this for a while now!
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

quote:Originally posted by hillsy

HA,HA,HA,HA Being single I can do what and when I want.. bike is in the spare bedroom , on a stand sitting on a painting tarp ..I have wanted to redo this for a while now!
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links