Newbie with a carb question?
Close

This is a discussion on Newbie with a carb question? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey all, Im a newb, not even going to try and hide it lol! I just bought a 1981 Honda CB750K, that I am currently ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Newbie with a carb question?

Hey all, Im a newb, not even going to try and hide it lol! I just bought a 1981 Honda CB750K, that I am currently tearing down and turning into what I hope will be a kick [email protected]@ racer. It has the stock air box on it and the stock exhaust 4 header pipes into dual mufflers on either side. I have removed the exhaust and I am going to put on a 4-1 with a canister muffler. I am also looking to take the stock air box off the carbs and replace it with 4 pods. With the new exhaust and pod filters I know that I am probably going to have to rejet the carbs, they were completely rebuilt in 03 according to the paperwork that came with the bike, however I dont think the bike was maintained very well after that. I am thinking I will rebuild the carbs, but I was wondering what size jets would be reccomended with the listed mods I am planning? Any suggestions on where to buy the parts needed as well? Thanks for any info, and again Im a newb so take it easy on me as this is my first build!
    Harley guy at heart with a passion for cafe racers, shhhh dont tell anyone!

You are not helping this new leaf program I have going on here...

why don't you take 5 minutes and search out your question....the web is filled with the info as well as opinions about this so called mod.

you are not a special snowflake with a new idea.

by doing this independent searching you can answer your own question and have a ton of info about the "mod"

long story short you sound like you are completely off on the wrong track and just generally doing it wrong
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Wow, I dont know you, and I didnt know you before your "new leaf" program but you must have been a real asshole. I have done research, and unless I missed something I thought this site was called caferacer.net for a reason. Its a simple question, and I thought the forums would be a great place to ask it, simply for the knowledge that can be found here. Rather then search the net for a thousand different responses I thought that the people on a cafe racer forum, who have probably worked on this type of bike, and done this before, and know what works and what doesnt, would like to share their knowledge with someone who hasnt. Maybe I was wrong. Ive read some of your previous posts to people asking questions, and I dont know what your problem is but man come on, not everyone can be as gifted as you. I have a plan for this bike, its already a strong runner, and I am not on the wrong track or doing it wrong. A different plan or view from yours is not wrong, its just different. Now with that out of the way, if you have something constructive to say, that can answer my question Im all ears. If anyone else would like to chime in with a constructive answer I would greatly appreciate it. No hard feelings man, but good luck with your "new leaf" thing. Also I really liked the special snowflake comment, made me laugh!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Well if you read other threads and did the research then what is the question?
    Did you find anyone that actually had an improvement by using pods?
    You know anything about jetting carbs? If so have at it. Point is the Internet isn't going to help. Way to many variables to say "slap these jets in and run"
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Also why not seek out a site that deals in DOHC bikes?
    Bet they can be of more help.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Ok I'll try this again. Lets simplify the question. What size jets would you all recommend for a 1981 cb750k, going from stock exhaust, stock airbox, to a 4into1 exhaust and pod filters? I know this may go against everything you stand for, but sometimes the mods arent just for performance but also appearance. There, I said it. Im going for a certain look here, and I expect that some performance gains will be achieved as well. Again my vision and plan being different from yours is not wrong, just different. Im not a purist. Love choppers, bobbers, and cafe racers. Im not going to race it, but I am going to ride the hell out of it. Does that help? Im not trying to get into a pissing match with you, just looking for answers amongst a knowledgeable group.

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    CB750 person,
    anyone with any experience of jetting will tell you don't fit pods to the DOHC 750/900.
    It WILL run like shit.
    It's almost impossible to get running right with pods, anyone who says it's OK has no clue how a 750/900 should run
    Leon Moss (LEDAR Race Developments) probably knew more about carburation that anyone who ever lived, he had to block off primary main jet system, drill a bunch of new holes and fit tiny pipes inside carbs to make them work (he did it for Honda when they raced it, if Honda couldn't fix it, no one else will be able to)
    I know your going to fit pods no matter what, just be aware it will run bad
    As for jetting, try 10~15% larger on secondaries, about 2.5 (i.e. from 45 to 47.5 on pilots and leave primary mains stock)
    DON'T raise needles, it will mess things up
    Bike will run, but, it won't run right
    Sometime, the 'look' just isn't worth it
    Last edited by crazypj; 12-29-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

The point that I think Jag was trying to make is that you are asking for an opinion on a subject that is well enough documented elsewhere. This site, from what I can ascertain is mainly inhabited by ex racers, current racers, race groupies and just a very few "cafe racer builders". There appears to be a fairly low tolerance to newcomers who expect to just ask and expect to receive answers to all their questions.

In this specific case, the underlying issue is that a simple search will reveal that carbs on those bikes are almost impossible to re-jet for pods. The usual solution is to leave the stock airbox or replace the carbs. A small amount of research on your part would have revealed a number of replies on different forums that would have helped you to learn about that bike and its foibles. You chose instead to berate a member here for politely advising you to do the research so that you could learn. He offered an opportunity for learning and you chose to be all pouty and demand that someone give you the answer you wanted.

Just sayin'

Good that you are not worried about racing as you will be decreasing the HP

really claiming not to race is a huge cop out

Like I said, want to run pods? Go do it. The Internet will not install them for you. Make a guess on jets and see for yourself. Probably will need to spend more money on brass then the shitty pods. Or are you only looking to change jets once and talk about how this is a budget build?

cant see the DOHC site rrely helping more
    try dotheton.com they will be more your type
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Shucks teazer! I'm flattered that you said I was being helpful.
    this new leaf might be stick as it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links